PDA

View Full Version : Moog problem solver tie rods

Turbo67camaro
05-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Does Moog make tie-rods in the "problem solver" line, and if so, where can I buy them ?

I'm having a hard time finding the "Moog problem solver" line of tie-rods for a 1st gen. camaro.

Many places sell Moog, but I've only found 1 that identifies the parts as the "problem solver" line, and that site doesn't seem to offer them for 1st gen camaros.

GoldHawg
05-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know about 1st gen camaros, but I just did my 71 cutlass, and ordered all my tierods, idler arm, and centerlink from rockauto. They all came in boxes saying problem solver. Also, you'll find your local carquest uses Moog problem solver tie rods in their inhouse label if you need it asap.

I'm really happy w/mine, even though they cost a good bit more.

David Pozzi
05-10-2008, 05:26 PM
What problem do they solve???

Turbo67camaro
05-11-2008, 01:49 PM
"Problem Solvers"

I hear they keep noob racing drivers from hitting the wall !

It also is guaranteed to confuse consumers, a goal for which it took tremendous effort to derive a solution.

They should just call them Moog Premium, and tell their distributors to consistently advertise the proper name.

Lowend
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
The Problem Solver line is setup for specific applications, it doesn't exist for every car.
MOOG basically goes through their line and finds parts that typically wear too fast from factory under-design and builds a beefier unit. There are a bunch of them for the 96 Impala.

On the 1st Gen Camaro I don't think there is anything in the line.

David Pozzi
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
They seem to be stamping "Problem Solver" on everything these days, even on standard parts.

I always took the Problem Solver parts to be specially made parts like oversize OD lower ball joints for worn lower A arms.

79T/Aman
05-12-2008, 01:25 AM
from what I understand "problem solver" now applies to the whole moog line it's become a marketting tool since Moog sells their parts to many other suppliers that rebox them

twoformulas
05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I put new Moog "Problem Solver" ball joints in the LCA's on a '71 Firebird I am rebuilding, and what a PIA. They had small ridges on the surface that press-fits against the opening in the LCA. The originals I took out had a smooth surface instead of the ridges. I am guessing the ridges were for a tight fit since it is a replacement part.

Rick

Turbo67camaro
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
From my reading and what I've been told, those grooves in the ball joints are to ensure a tight fit, because often the LCA's are worn.

I hear it is a good idea to tack weld them in place regardless.

zman1969
05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
What problem do they solve???
what he said , ive seen problem solver control arm shafts for cars with not enough adjustment left from frame sag,Tie rods are pretty staright forward.