PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Spring question.

resto-mod
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I have a '71 Chevelle Convert with 18" front and 20" rear, and I want to lower the car 1.5" front and 2.5" rear. It has a 454 in it. I called coilsprings.com and they told me they can make the springs as long as I have the specs..... Hence, my quesion. What size, rate, load ect... do I need to give them, so they can make me the proper springs for that amount of drop? If anyone has a better idea for either cost or availability, I'm all ears.
Thanks,
Jeff

resto-mod
05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Bump. Really, nobody out there has any info that may help me?

JLM
05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
you might look in to purchasing coils that are pre-fabbed for that type of application. I'd check out Hotchkis myself.

resto-mod
05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Hotchkis only has one kit and I believe it's only 1" front & rear. Eibach is the same, but their's is a 1.3" all around for SB only. Thanks for the reply though.

Balance_Point
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
What is your current spring rate and free lenght?

resto-mod
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
What is your current spring rate and free lenght?

They are stock springs. From there, I don't know the specs.

JLM
05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Hotchkis only has one kit and I believe it's only 1" front & rear. Eibach is the same, but their's is a 1.3" all around for SB only. Thanks for the reply though.

Sounds like a good candidate for a shorter spring with a hidden adjuster.

I'm not sure the diameter and free length of your stock springs, but you can go with a shorter spring from AFCO or Speedway Motors along with hidden adjusters to dial in your ride height accordingly.

resto-mod
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Speedway only has the Eibach kit and AFCO seems as though they are going to want the complete dimensions of the springs I want made. Is there anyone that knows who to contact that I can order from, just by telling them I want to drop the car 1.5" front and 2.5" rear? Or.... "plan B" would be to have the specs to tell someone such as AFCO I need ________ (fill in the blank). I'm OK with the spacer idea, but I'd rather get the right product, as opposed to ordering a band-aid to cover up an error.

JLM
05-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Speedway Motors also sells individual coil springs. about $50.00 per.

For example. The F-bopdy cars use a 5" diameter spring. I'll be running a 5x9.5 spring along with the hidden adjuster.

In all honesty though you're going to need to take a spring out and get the specs to figure out what you are wanting.

You're talking about weight loading calculations as well as free length. Or you could simply remove your factory springs and start cutting them. Try a 1/4 coil at a time.

Balance_Point
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Measure the diameter of the spring wire, how many coils, and how tall the spring is (free length). Anyone who makes springs should be able to figure out your desired drop from there.

resto-mod
05-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Is there a proper name for the "hidden adjustor"? Does anyone have a link or info on where to purchase them? It sounds like I may be best off getting the shortest spring I can use w/out bottoming out, then use the "adjustor" to lift it to the desired ride height. Is this a "normal" way to do this?

JLM
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
springs
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/163,158_Tru-Coil-Trademark-Front-Racing-Springs-5andquot;-x-9-1and2andquot;.html

adjuster
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3389,157_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Extended.html

It looks like the chevelle through 73 uses the same diameter spring as the f-bodies. Go with the 9.5" length spring with the adjuster.

A spring rate around 600lbs is probably okay for you, that's what most of the aftermarket spring rates come in at.

resto-mod
05-14-2008, 05:23 AM
JLM, Thanks for the info! Now I'm cooking. I'll post pics when I'm done.