PDA

View Full Version : Who is running a IROC Steering box in their first gen?

skeeters65
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Just wondering how you guys like the box??
How is the steering feel? Is it tight or real light??

Thanks

JEFFTATE
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I am.
I like the way it feels.
Very quick.
Very tight.
Alignment settings and the condition of the other steering linkage components affect the feel too.
I also did the Guldstrand mod.

I had a little bit of a "twitchy" light " darty " feel to the steering, but I set the toe a little more out and that went away ( or decreased antway ). I originally had 1/8 " TOE-IN .
Now I have 0 Toe.
It steers better.

Chad-1stGen
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
You can have a box that is tight and light IMO. My steering has no slop which I would describe as "tight" but with the iroc box it requires very little effort which I would describe as "light."

skeeters65
05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Jeff,
How hard or easy is it to turn your wheel?? Same as a newer car??

BKB1969
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I just installed the Iroc box and it feels like a newer car. A definite & worthwhile improvement.

MarkM66
05-26-2008, 04:02 AM
I did on my Nova. I didn't like it. Way to easy to turn, so that made it twitchy with that faster ratio.

I used a rebuilt box, maybe it was rebuilt wrong.

Spent the extra money on a Lee box this time around.

skeeters65
05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
How much does the Lee box cost??
Part number??
WHat else do I need to make it work?

Thanks

MarkM66
05-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Part number??

Thanks

Have a look here.

http://www.scandc.com/products.htm

hotrodf1
05-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Part number??

Thanks

Do a little searching and I think you'll find all the info you need. I don't have any links handy, sorry.

I did this on my 68 and it is very nice for the money. Will a Lee box be "better"? I sure hope so. the rebuilt I got was like $130. Lees are what around $500 or so?

ALso needed a rag joint , Lares #200 I think was it, for a early 80's chevy pickup I think. Also need to consider power steering lines. The old style are not the same as the new O-Ring sealed style. I put late model pump, lines, and hydroboost all in at the same time so I didn't need adapters. If you use the original steering pump and lines, you'll need adapters from Lee to make the connection. I believe he even offers a kit with the rag joint and adapters as well.