PDA

View Full Version : Unisteer power steering rack

BlueBull
05-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I plan to replace my steering box on my camaro 1967 with a unisteer rack instead. I did a search and found a lot of valueable information on this. From one thread to the next I got from yes to no and back to yes again - I'll do this. What is the general opinion on this from you guys with that experience?

I also noted that this unisteer package contains a pair of outer steering arms. Can anybody tell me why they must be replaced? I think I read something about improved bumpsteer, can this be the reason? If so, how is this done practically? Is the outer steering arm geometri changed? - How?

Just curious. Thanks

MrQuick
05-04-2008, 06:49 PM
With the new technology with the modern gear boxes I tend to steer away from rack and pinion kits now. The ATS, Lee, SC&C 670 boxes are excellent and a bit cheaper overall than the add on rack kits.

I've used the Unisteer kit, it is an excellent choice and is the only rack kit I would recommend.

The kit does provide an arm and it is to correct the bump steer that the rack position creates. From what I noticed is that it lowers the position on the tie rod. Might even move them towards center a bit.

Maybe the Unisteer guy will chime in for specific details.

BlueBull
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks. I read about problems related to the extreme angle between the rack and the column when the steering shaft is to be attached. Does more than one experienced this problem?

Denvervet
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I saw some post showing that the R&P mounts in a way to be hanging below the subframe by some 2 "....check it out. Looks like a good way to lose steering if one bottoms out on it. Seeing as how so many of the 1st gen subframes have dents or at least scrapes on the bottom of the Subs would make me concerned.

MrQuick
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I saw some post showing that the R&P mounts in a way to be hanging below the subframe by some 2 "....check it out. Looks like a good way to lose steering if one bottoms out on it. Seeing as how so many of the 1st gen subframes have dents or at least scrapes on the bottom of the Subs would make me concerned. The Unisteer rack kit sits pretty close. Im not sure what the application that was pictured. There is one small section that hangs about 1/4-5/16" lower and should not pose a problem. Your headers will most likely hit first.

MrQuick
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks. I read about problems related to the extreme angle between the rack and the column when the steering shaft is to be attached. Does more than one experienced this problem? not an issue with the correct u joints.

LowBuckX
05-05-2008, 11:13 PM
I saw some post showing that the R&P mounts in a way to be hanging below the subframe by some 2 "....check it out. Looks like a good way to lose steering if one bottoms out on it. Seeing as how so many of the 1st gen subframes have dents or at least scrapes on the bottom of the Subs would make me concerned.

Your Talking about the Steeroids system....

69bigblock
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
The problem people have with the linkage is header clearence with the BBC.

MrQuick
05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
The problem people have with the linkage is header clearence with the BBC....that I don't doubt. You might have to get creative with the routing.

BlueBull
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a small block. The answers gives me confidence that's a bolt on solution with no suprises :) .
Thanks

MrQuick
05-06-2008, 08:39 PM
One tip.
When you are lining up the rack bracket, move the lower control arm bolts so about a 1/4" of the bolt tip is sticking out. This will help with the lining up. When you get it started, have a helper tap the bolt through with a drift punch and a hammer.