PDA

View Full Version : Sub frame question (Mopar biased)

rb70383
05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I have that 88 Gran Fury and it has the rubber isolated K-member. They make solid ones, but is it possible and will it help or hurt if I just remove the isolators and bolt the "K" directly to the freame. Aside of the actual drivetrain moving up in the engine compartment about 2", lowering the front of the car and changing the front end alignment, Will bolting it directly hurt or damage, or hurt the handling of the car? Be a nice way to lower the without turning the torsion bars down.

gkring
05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I've never worked on a grand fury, but typical Mopars have the upper mounts in the fenderwell. if you raise the lower control arm by removing 2 inch spacer and leave the upper mounts alone i think it would really jack up your front end geometry. Using the torsion bar to lower it would be the correct way. By removing the mounts you are changing the suspension points, not just lowering the front end.

Greg Kring

Mommy Wagon
09-27-2008, 02:11 PM
You also may be required to reinforce the mounting structure, as the rubber insulators provide a cushion the torsional forces applied through the drivetrain and suspension.

Bjkadron
12-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Mopar Performance used to make a kit with Iron spacers But they don't anymore... If they went to the trouble of making the kit then it would probably mess it up if you just took them out. I'm with Greg... it would probably mess up the whole suspension design.

That was the main problem with high performance use for those years. But its just a rubber bushing with a bolt through it right? You might check with a place like Energy Suspensions for urethane bushings... or if your good with a lathe you could just turn some out of steel or something.. ?

go-fish
12-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree with all of the above. Lower it with the t-bars but not too extreme, you can even screw up the geometry of the front end like that so you definately would by removing the bushings.

If you are ater performance and not just the stance, the solid bushing idea is a great start, polyeurethane rebuild kit, premium shocks, and good tires will get you a long way. Torsion bar front ends are way underrated when it comes to performance suspensions.

I would LOVE to have an old cop Fury with a 360! That would be sweet.