PDA

View Full Version : Narrow rack and pinion

jimish
05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone have knowledge/experience with narrowing a rack and pinion. I was set to just cut and tread the tie rod ends, but was told that might upset the geometry, especially approaching full lock. I was told to section the rack itself. (that sounds expensive)

wicked67
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
dont know how narrow you need it, but they have narrowed racks already. Quarter Max has some. they also make some power units for late model race cars also but can get pricey

LowBuckX
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
What make model rack are you starting with ? Power or manual. front steer rear steer. WWW.Unisteer.com can custom make just about any rack size you want in manual and are limited (slightly) in power set ups. They are also a site sponcer..

jimish
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I have narrowed a C5 corvette front end by 5" to fit in my car. Originally I was going to cut 2.5" off of each tie rod end and retread them. I will measure the mounting width, and end width and check with Unisteer. Thanks for the info.

killer69
05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
not that big a deal to have unisteer do a custom one for you as long as you don't want power steering.
i can hook you up with unisteer if you need.

jimish
05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I did want power, but thinking about it maybe I don't need power. The engine is behind the seats so there is not a lot of weight on the front. Do you think a manual rack will be hard to turn the C5 front end. I then wont have to worry about the pump and hoses!