PDA

View Full Version : G-body Front U&LCA's installed - Align Specs?

Tony_SS
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I have just now got the tubular arms installed up front and the shims are back as the were with the factory stamped ones.

Should I just have it aligned with the factory specs or are there some ideal settings I should give the folks doing the alignment?

David Pozzi
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
How hard are you going to hang corners with your car? :)

Tony_SS
04-30-2008, 04:46 AM
It wont be seeing any track time, but if I can tweak it a little better than stock that would be ideal.

jackfrost
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I used the alignment specs that Global West advised for that setup, but I can't remember what they were. You could call GW to find out...

but they were certainly NOT stock.

Tony_SS
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Well I'm not running the B-body spindle, so I'm sure the GW specs are based on that.

tiek1011
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm running 1 deg neg camber, 2.0 caster and 1/16 toe Works for me, feels great...

jackfrost
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm running 1 deg neg camber, 2.0 caster and 1/16 toe Works for me, feels great...

that sounds like what I set mine up at. although I think left/right were a little different to compensate for road crown.

Tony_SS
05-01-2008, 10:07 AM
that sounds like what I set mine up at. although I think left/right were a little different to compensate for road crown.

Really? Then the tall spindle doesn't change the spces???

Well I'm taking it up there today so that's the numbers I'll use and hope for the best!

jackfrost
05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
well, i'm no expert, but I think the tall spindle mostly affects (improves) camber in bound/rebound. static, ride-height wheel position will be the same regardless of suspension design.

Marcus SC&C
05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
The height of the spindles will alter your requirements simply because better geometry requires less static - camber to perform well. The stock short spindles (assuming you`re also using stock height ball joints) yield a terrible positive camber curve so more static - camber you be a good thing. I`d go with at least -1/2* camber (if not more) and shoot for about +5* caster. More caster will improve road feel and tracking as well as correct a little bit of the factory bumpsteer on the G chassis.
Depending on what tubular arms you have they may or may not make it easier to get a good performance alignment out of the car. Some have slightly shorter upper arms with the ball joint plate offset a little more toward the firewall to compensate for lowering the car with springs or bags and to help in getting better alignment specs and others are just tubular copies of stock arms. Mark SC&C

Tony_SS
05-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Ok, well yesterday didn't go well. I now have a stack of shims and they still couldn't get the car straight.

I think the arms that I have are copies of the stock ones (or possibly longer!) and they aren't matching up well with the 3" OPG lowering springs.

Mark, I need to give you a call to discuss. I think I'm going to have to ditch these upper arms for the adjustable SPC's you have.

Marcus SC&C
05-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Give a call anytime. I`d be happy to chat with you about it. :) Mark SC&C