PDA

View Full Version : Installed Lee 670 Steering Box

jknight16
04-28-2008, 08:47 AM
This weekend I finished coverting my car from manual steering to power steering with a high flow pump/pulley/lines kit from Unisteer and a Lee 670 steering box from SC&C (could have gotten it at ATS...same box).

I know that the praises of Lee's steering boxes have been sung many times before, but I figured I would give my impressions. Going from a manual quick ratio box to this is a huge difference so comparisons are more difficult than if I'd had an original PS box but...Let me just tell ya, that thing has some mighty quick turn in!!! The first time I took a 90 degree turn with any real speed I almost turned too early...hahaha. I can see how this thing would make a tremendous difference in an autocross environment.

Coming from manual, its just such a huge difference that you have to retrain your brain a little bit. The on-center feel is really very good, and there is very minimal (if any) slop or play in the steering. The quickness and feel really does seem eerily similar to a newer rack and pinion equipped car.

Now we can really see what all these highly-engineered suspension mods can really provide in terms of handling!!!

1969CamaroRS
04-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I got a 670 from ATS as well, still working on the rear suspension, but I am definitely looking forward to it. Glad to hear it works great. That is one of the great things about the car forums online lots of great people with great ideas on what products work and don't work that we can learn and benefit from. :smoke:

1BADRS
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
This weekend I finished coverting my car from manual steering to power steering with a high flow pump/pulley/lines kit from Unisteer and a Lee 670 steering box from SC&C (could have gotten it at ATS...same box).

I know that the praises of Lee's steering boxes have been sung many times before, but I figured I would give my impressions. Going from a manual quick ratio box to this is a huge difference so comparisons are more difficult than if I'd had an original PS box but...Let me just tell ya, that thing has some mighty quick turn in!!! The first time I took a 90 degree turn with any real speed I almost turned too early...hahaha. I can see how this thing would make a tremendous difference in an autocross environment.

Coming from manual, its just such a huge difference that you have to retrain your brain a little bit. The on-center feel is really very good, and there is very minimal (if any) slop or play in the steering. The quickness and feel really does seem eerily similar to a newer rack and pinion equipped car.

Now we can really see what all these highly-engineered suspension mods can really provide in terms of handling!!!
Hate to bug you, but I am doing a similar setup.
Do you have any pics you can post?

jknight16
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I'll have to take some pics, but sure, I'll post them when I can...

1BADRS
05-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks much...
This is an area that I am trying to make some decisions on.
Thanks again..

jerome
05-27-2008, 08:18 PM
haha, pics of shiny new trick parts...helps you make an unbiased budget-conscious decision right?

jknight16
05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Haha, well, to be honest. It doesn't look any different than any other brand new power steering box w/ fancy braided lines, so I'm not sure if you're really going to learn anything from the pics. The unique features of the pricier Lee box are not on the outside at all, they're all on the inside and I can only stand by what everyone else on this board has been saying for years...the Lee steering boxes are a great way to substantially improve the steering feel on these cars.

rmccubbin
05-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Is the the same Lee as in Lee Mfg in Sun Valley CA?

jknight16
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Yep, one in the same