PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 2nd Gen TA, need suggestions

mrgto
04-28-2008, 05:31 AM
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x43/mrgto455/Trans%20Am/

I would like to do a "KIT" for the entire car...I only know of Hotchkis that makes a rear or entire kit for the car. Anyone else? Nothing super radical but significant improvement over stock. Also would it be advisable to go to Poly sub frame bushings?

The car is solid and I'm still debating on going a "cheap" 5.3L LS engine or rebuild a 455 I have sitting around.

Thoughts? Opinions? This is my first 2nd Gen F-Body...I've owned both 3rd and 4th Gens in addition to many GTO's. Thanks.

NOT A TA
04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Nice looking car to start with. I used Hotchkis stuff on my Firebird and am happy with it. These guys also have some nice 2nd gen products. http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/

ProdigyCustoms
04-28-2008, 07:16 AM
For a "Nothing super radical but significant improvement over stock" Hotchkis it the best "system" you are going to find. For under $1500 you can get a TVS kit with shocks and have a nice package. Add some upper A arms, good steering box, a Extreme steering kit, and your set.

We sell a ton of it, if we can help let us know.

70bird
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm using a Hotchkis front bar in my 2nd gen. It is much lighter than the factory bar due to it's hollow construction. I like it!

You said this was your first 2nd gen, so I assume you are not familiar with 2nd gen T/A's. Do you know if it is a WS6 car? If so, it will have poly bushings stock. It looks like this is 80 or 81, so if it is WS6 it likely have rear discs. The WS6's also had different valving in the steering box for higher effort steering.

Even if it is not WS6, you will have a superb handling car, with the right tire and shock combo. T/a's had much stiffer springs than standard firebirds, and some will say the ride is quite stiff, even stock.
The fact. sway bars are good pieces too. At 1-14" front, and 5/8" rear,
they are really well balanced for the car with just a touch of over-steer. All in all, these cars were excellent handling machines, even by todays standards they would hold there own. I remember skid pad testing numbers to be near .078g. Not bad considering the tires available then.
What do you plan to with the car? If it is to be a cruiser with maybe some autocross occasionally, you can get a lot of bang for your buck using factory pieces. Poly bushings will be a great upgrade anywhere you can install them, and subframe connectors make a big difference in the overall rigidity of the car.

Here's what I would do on a budget:
Re-build steering components
Install poly bushings everywhere
subframe connectors
install good adjustable shocks (Koni or Bilstein)
Add some big sticky tires.

If you decide on aftermarket sway bars, I would suggest you stay near stock diameters as they are just about right with stock spring rates. The Hotchkis bar measures 1.33" and works well. The rear bar could go to 7/8" but might oversteer.
From there, you will need to increase spring rates to improve cornering, and you may not care for the harsher ride on the street. JMHO

Good luck with it and enjoy!

mrgto
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Non WS6 car. Drum brakes in back. I would love to install a stick but I think finding all the parts I need might be a bear. Does anyone make a kit to install a LSx engine in a 2nd gen? I might go that route. How close to stock location of the shaker do you think I could get if I used a cast aluminum intake with injectors instead of a stock LSX composit intake?

79T/Aman
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I would suggest to make the chassis more ridgid first, it is useless to increase the load on the chassis with stiffer springs if it will make the chassis/body flex so install solid body bushings and frame connectors, and there are better kits than TVS.
The 455 would be my personal choice