PDA

View Full Version : hotchkis rear shocks

bulldog19
04-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I purchased a hotchkis tvss kit for my 68 camaro convertible I'm getting ready to install the rear shocks and the supplied bolts are larger than the holes on the shock plates. I could enlarge the holes but that would leave very little metal on the top of the hole which to me would be unsafe. Am i ok to use the original bolt though smaller in diameter. What have others done? Advise and suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Bulldog

MrQuick
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
should be ok if its tightened properly.

David Pozzi
04-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Do you have mono leaf springs?
Do you have mono leaf spring plates? the mono leaf type will have two ears one on each side of the shock (double shear). Multi leaf plates are thicker and use a stud on the shock mounted in single shear.

If you have the mono leaf setup and the bolt is too large I'd make up a sleeve to fit inside the shock eye.
David

bulldog19
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the tips i'm off to the indstrial supply store for some steel tubing for a sleeve.
Thanks for the help
Bulldog

David Pozzi
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
How about your old shocks? can you press the old sleeve out of them?

bulldog19
04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
old ones have been tossed but the new ones are in with no problem now. My next and hopefully last question is how tight should the nut be on the top of the shock? I have a washer and rubber bushing on the underside of the car and a washer and rubber bushing in the trunk.
Tighten down all the way?
Thanks for the response.