PDA

View Full Version : Sanden conevrsion

Takid455
04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Who makes a sanden conversion for 2nd gen firebirds? I know classic auto air has one, anyone else? looking to retain all factory components except the compressor and accumulator (switch to drier) if it is possibe.

Ollie8974
04-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Vintage Air also lists a compressor bracket, pn 141001-PPA, for the Pontiac engine.

TnBlkC230WZ
06-13-2008, 08:35 PM
If you are switching to R134a you will need to change your expansion valve and perhaps the condensor if yours isn't large enough. The guys at Vintage Air will know. Go to the VA catalog and read the setions on AC basics

MonzaRacer
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Actually if you simply flush the system, mount the compressor, and hook it up same as the old unit, BUT switch to the appropriate lubricant(usually a PAG oil) flush the evaporator and condenser and swap in a new drier the old controls will function perfectly.
I simply swapped in better hoses, a new drier and topped up with R134A after flushing and oring changes and stock 71 Monte Carlo with old A^ compressor blew 39 degrees with no heater.AC fan(it was bad but had cold air going down road) and it worked awesome. did 17 more old car conversions that year and all of them are still functioning.
As for different condenser you may need to help it out with electric fans but if it worked with R12 it will work with R134A.
Trust me I do custom conversions and while you can use VA systems I tend to make work what I got.
We used a Sankyo509 from an old 5th Ave. on a street rod and it works perfect.
Now if you have a orrifice tube system simply replace it wioth one of the self adjusting orrifice tubes and your set..
Oh and use same quantity as R12, then go by pressures and performance.
I do like to add in a high side over pressure cutout cause in hot weather with no extra fans in traffic you can get some high side creep but if the cooling system and ac system are functioning properly theyshould still work in converted form.
The big performance issue is if there isnt enough air flow over condenser at idle, this usually causes the decreased performance at idle.
big thing to remember is its simply moving heat, if you set it up right its should work without some major refit of parts.
Good luckand give me a shoult if you need any help.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

TEXAS PAUL
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
OLD AIR PRODUCTS MAKES ONE

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60000000_69000013&products_id=3534

PT Goat
08-13-2008, 06:26 AM
If you're interested, I've got a brand new natural finish Sanden and Pontiac mount (from Vintage Air). Been mocked up, but otherwise brand new. Send me a PM if interested.