PDA

View Full Version : Need First Gen F Body Help (rear suspension)

all wired
04-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

I ran into an issue while changing my leaf springs. The bolts that hold the "clamshell" where the front of the spring mounts to the body are spinning freely. I cannot see where these bolts come through.

Does anyone happen to know how to access the backside of these bolts, so I can remove the clamshell?

Thanks in advance

MrQuick
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
oh no....your in j-nut hell.

I just cut the heads off and push the rest of the tormenting GM j nuts out the up side. Most Camaro vendors sell the j nut sets with new bolts.

Tom Welch
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I had to drill through the floor of mine to get the J-nuts out. once that was over I had no more issues. It can be a beeotch.

MuscleRodz
04-21-2008, 09:13 AM
You will have to make an access hole through the top of the floor to fix it. Typical issue on first gens.

all wired
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
You will have to make an access hole through the top of the floor to fix it. Typical issue on first gens.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Are you able to give me a general idea of where they come through? I dont want to blindly cut holes through the floor.

Another question... it seems like these bolts are held in by speed clips, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about the strength of them in a high horsepower application?

MuscleRodz
04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Are you able to give me a general idea of where they come through? I dont want to blindly cut holes through the floor.

Another question... it seems like these bolts are held in by speed clips, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about the strength of them in a high horsepower application?There is a shelf in the rear floor pan. They are under that towards the outside.

all wired
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
ok, thanks for the help! this project is kicking my ass!

CarlC
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I'd try grind the head of the offending bolt off before drilling the floorboard.

eville
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I'd try grind the head of the offending bolt off before drilling the floorboard.

:twothumbs

zbugger
04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd do anything I could to cut the heads off the bolts before opening up the floor on the car. My dad did that on our '65 Buick Special and I feel like shooting him for it. It's gotta be welded shut again. Grrr....

ProdigyCustoms
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd do anything I could to cut the heads off the bolts before opening up the floor on the car. My dad did that on our '65 Buick Special and I feel like shooting him for it. It's gotta be welded shut again. Grrr....

Yeah, no big deal. As Mr Quick said, blow the heads off the bolts, bend the j clips off and replace with new clips and hardware. I have got to find the direct source for those special clips!