PDA

View Full Version : Installed Rear Swaybar

JEFFTATE
04-18-2008, 06:37 AM
During the RTTH 3 Autocross last year , several people ( John Parsons , Andrew , Frank Serafin , The Airride guys , Kyle Tucker )commented that my car could probably benefit from a rear swaybar. To induce a little more oversteer.

So I installed one. ( An ADDCO brand )
And it really helps the car handle !
Wow , imagine that !

I know some cars don't need a rear bar , but mine benefitted from it.
Now , if I can just learn how to drive it to it's fullest potential.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MrQuick
04-18-2008, 07:51 PM
just watch the turns when the grounds wet. :drive2:

David Pozzi
04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
My 67 Camaro needed one when I was Autocrossing it. My wife's 68 needs one, right now it has the old front bar from my 67 on it with no rear bar. Mary's 73 has one too! :)

A lot of the no rear bar talk came from **** Guldstrand, who liked to use bronze bushings in the both leaf spring eyes. I think that added to the rear roll stiffness and reduced the need for a rear bar.
David

parsonsj
04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Jeff, I remember your car pushing like mad as you tried your best to get it to turn-in. Your front inside tire barely touched the ground.

Glad to hear the rear bar helps!

jp

JEFFTATE
04-19-2008, 04:41 AM
Jeff, I remember your car pushing like mad as you tried your best to get it to turn-in. Your front inside tire barely touched the ground.

Glad to hear the rear bar helps!

jp

Yeah , I got way too much front spring( 700#) and a huge front swaybar( 1 1/8" ). So a rear bar helps stiffen the rear end so it will move around a little.
(I'm still learning.)

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-19-2008, 04:50 AM
glad that worked out Jeff!

JEFFTATE
04-19-2008, 05:11 AM
I may actually " de-tune "the suspension a little later.
Maybe go to a 550# front spring and a 1" front swaybar.
I'll keep playing with it.