PDA

View Full Version : cheap nova

devilxbody
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
ok so my 70 nova's suspension was a sagging hackjob when i bought it 4 years ago and i orginally planned on just putting new multileafs, shackles, drag shocks, and slapper bars or caltracs on it before i realized i would rather be able to hammer it around corners everyday and drag it occationally. the problem is i only have about 800 bucks to dump on it and all the air ride and hotchkis packages far exceed that from what ive seen. so im hoping you fellas out there could give me some ideas on less costly ways to stiffen up my ride. Im open to all reasonable suggestions, i can weld if neccessary and i dont plan on lowering the car because it sees occational dirt racing duties as well. thanx to anyone who can help i really appreciate it!

TnBlkC230WZ
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
You can go a long way with the $800. First go with the hotchkis system. It is a proven upgrade for your Nova. Get the rear spring kit and the front springs. They are about $550 shipped from Summit.

You could put the front urethane bushings in at that time as well. They are and inprovement, but for a guy on a budget, you could leave the rubber ones in and be in pretty good shape.

A better use for the remaining $250 is shocks.

When you get more money, you can add the subframe connectors, front roll bar, and solid body mounts in that order.

cheapthrillz
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
If you don't mind pulling the subframe out, I would consider the gulstrand mod (can find all the info on this site) b/c it corrects the front suspension geometry and costs no money except for a little welding gas. Then I would look into new stock replacement springs for the front (might have to cut a coil) and get a big swaybar for the front. In the back I would just go with a good set of multi-leafs. Then spend the majority of your money on shocks (varishock, koni, bilstein, etc).

But remember, good tires are gonna help out a lot too....

MarkM66
04-18-2008, 07:13 AM
The Guldstrand mod doesn't require you to pull the subframe, or to weld anything.

cheapthrillz
04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
The Guldstrand mod doesn't require you to pull the subframe, or to weld anything.

Thought the g-mod moved the UCA mounting point down?

I thought you had to cut like an inch out of that section and lower it?

Myabe I'm completely off base... I know that it cost nothing to do though....

bkeith65
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Not off base...two ways to do it..easier method is just to drill new holes according to template available off Pozzi's site and cut ears off (not your own) if using stock arms...

cheapthrillz
04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
That makes since.... thanks for clearing up the confusion. Again, it is something to think about doing which will improve handling a ton. If you need so advice on cheap suspension tricks, you need to talk to David Pozzi. I've PM'd him numerous times trying to figure out some tricks for my 69 Camaro. If you tell him your budget, he would know exactly what you need to do...

My first post just kinda said what I was planning on doing in my car. David says it should have for a good (not stiff) ride that should perform very well.

Just remember that the shocks are what control the feel of your suspension.... so don't skimp on those.

Good luck!

MarkM66
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
G mod, generic springs in the right rate, bilstien shocks, and a 1" sway bar.

If you want to save $, avoid name brands like Hotchkis for coil springs. You can basically get the same springs for half the price. Check places like speedwaymotors.com . You may have to cut them, but that's no biggie.

Hotchkis leafs are a decent deal though.

Try summit for a sway bar.

cheapthrillz
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
and Moog stock replacement coils for the front...

hotchkis springs in the back would be a good deal. They're not over priced.

TnBlkC230WZ
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
and Moog stock replacement coils for the front...

hotchkis springs in the back would be a good deal. They're not over priced.

I would agree, their springs are a bit high, but not out of line. Their hollow sway bars and control arms are pricey, I would avoid them if you are on a budget. The important thing to do is pick things you can do in stages with an end in mind. You don't have to do it all at once.

devilxbody
04-20-2008, 07:00 AM
thanx alot to everyone for the advice it was exactly the kind of expert info i needed to pull me out of this suspension slump. like i said im a drag racer so making a car go anywhere but straight is still pretty alien to me. i appreciate all ur help!