PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to make p/s firmer

all wired
04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 68 Firebird with the stock power steering setup. I am working my way through a pro-touring setup and I would like the power steering to be more firm. Right now its got the "old car" butterball steering.

I was thinking of putting some sort of restrictor inline with the hose to the steering box, but I am hoping for a better answer than that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MarkM66
04-14-2008, 09:28 AM
New box. Like a Lee.

all wired
04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
where can I get a lee steering box?

TitoJones
04-14-2008, 11:06 AM
We have sold a few thousand of them. Give us a call.

Tyler

pitts64
04-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Pick up the Herb Adams suspension engineering book.

hotrodf1
04-15-2008, 08:21 AM
The Lee boxes are great from what I'm told. I took a little more DIY approach and did the 3rd gen box swap, which is quite easy as well. The box comes from a 90 Z28 model Camaro, bolts right up. Use a different rag joint, some line adapters, and you are there. THere's a huge thread on this I think here and over on TeamCamaro as well, just in case you want to do more research.

Here's a fabulous source of info as well http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm#PS%20swap%20parts%20required

The Lee box is defintely the path of least resistance and a great option, I just didn't have the money to do it. I think the 3rd gen box gets "close" to what the Lee box would do, although it probably is set up with tighter tolerances.

Good luck with whichever option you choose!

funbnme
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Can't you put a heidts valve (I think that's how you spell it) on the power steering fluid lines and adjust the flow to the steering box. The reduced flow should give firmer steering.

Now, if the steering box you have stinks, then replacing that should be a better way, but if you have a decent box, then restricting flow should give you what you need.

Here's an article that may help you out.
http://www.heidts.com/images/art1.pdf

silver69camaro
04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Can't you put a heidts valve (I think that's how you spell it) on the power steering fluid lines and adjust the flow to the steering box. The reduced flow should give firmer steering.

Now, if the steering box you have stinks, then replacing that should be a better way, but if you have a decent box, then restricting flow should give you what you need.

Here's an article that may help you out.
http://www.heidts.com/images/art1.pdf

Placing a restrictor valve on the pump only leads to early pump death. This places a larger load on the pump and causes cavitation. Heidt's valve does use a bypass which solves this problem; most do not.

Yes, restricting flow, whether correctly or incorrectly done, does increase firmness. But you want to balance feedback and firmness.

Cliff notes: Increasing torsion bar thickness increases feedback and firmness. Decreasing pump flow decreases assist without affecting feedback. Increasing pump flow decreases effort; way too much flow decreases feel.

Lee's box is a good way to go. Another awesome box:
http://www.turnone-steering.com/standard.html

The pump MUST be matched to the box/rack you use!

hotrod69camaro
04-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I had Lee rework the box in my 69. They change the ratio, they add load feel to the steering feel itself, plumbed it with AN fittings to use AN hose, all new seals etc. I am very, very happy with it. Both Lee and his wife, I think Joyce are smart and very nice people to do business with. You'll have no regrets.

amx2334
04-16-2008, 05:22 AM
What was the cost on the Lee rework?

CarlC
04-16-2008, 06:58 AM
I agree with Matt that it must be treated as a system. It won't be cheap to go Lee's/ATS/Turn One but when done correctly the feel, feedback, and overall impression is very good.

hotrod69camaro
04-19-2008, 10:17 AM
The cost for Lee to do the box is $400. I also added to my system DSE type 2 pump. remote reservoir and p/s cooler.

LowBuckX
04-20-2008, 11:42 PM
The cost for Lee to do the box is $400. I also added to my system DSE type 2 pump. remote reservoir and p/s cooler.

HHmm ONly cost me $100 labor and $8 for parts to work his magic on a 670 delphi (new) core... I offer no other info than that.. But all in all much cheaper than the retail Lee boxes that are offered.

hotrod69camaro
04-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Going low dollar wasnt what I was after when I went looking for upgrades.

LowBuckX
04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Going low dollar wasnt what I was after when I went looking for upgrades.

So saving money and still ending up with a top of the line system is bad in some way?

hotrod69camaro
04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
No, saving money is not a bad thing at all. Thing is, amx asked me how much I paid Lee to do my box. And I have no regrets paying Lee with something like 40 years of knowledge in steering, to do my stuff.

LowBuckX
04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
For the record mine is a lee reworked box. Sorry I didnt make that clear.

hotrod69camaro
04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
no problem bro. its all about fun.