PDA

View Full Version : How to handle without ATS spindles.

CamaroJesse
04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I bought ats tall spindles a while back but have had nothing but problems as far as getting wheels that fit. I have the c5 brakes since they are the cheapest but becasue of this combo all the wheels that fit cost wayyy too much. I want the rac look when it comes to wheels and the cheapest wheels i found were CCW classics for 2500 bucks. Im wondering how much these spindles help. If i were to do DSE or globalwest uppers and lowers how would that compare to having the ATS spindles? Id like to be able to run a cheaper wheel pretty much and the ats spindles are holding me back. Ive heard nothing but great things about them but i really cant afoord ccw's or fikse's or forgelines or anyhting like that. Its down to the point right now that i took off my ats spindles and c5 brakes and i bought stock brakes and 14 inch SS rallys just so i can drive the darn thing.

MrQuick
04-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Don't compromise handling for... dude theres a set of 4 TTII's with tires for $1600 https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42221 Buy these to put them on and drive it then sell these when you get more money for rims you really want.

chicane67
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm wondering how much these spindles help.

If i were to do DSE or globalwest uppers and lowers how would that compare to having the ATS spindles?

Id like to be able to run a cheaper wheel pretty much and the ats spindles are holding me back. Ive heard nothing but great things about them but i really cant afoord ccw's or fikse's or forgelines or anything like that. Its down to the point right now that i took off my ats spindles and c5 brakes and i bought stock brakes and 14 inch SS rallys just so i can drive the darn thing.

Without a good suspension... every tire, wheel and brake system are worthless. Unless... you are in it for the Bling-a-ling.

Simply doing control arms will yield very little except for an increase in available caster. The spindles do more than give you something to bolt wheels and brakes to. The HUGE reduction in bump-steer, the camber gain and the loss in unsprung weight are all taken care of with the spindle... no control arm will give you that.

The spindles are not holding you back... you, yourself... are holding yourself back. Nothing was said that you HAD to run CCW's, Fikse or Forgelines. There are affordable wheels out there... and if you don't like them or want to run something different, you can always sell them to offset the purchase of something else later. If you had to put the OE suspension back on for now... that is OK. Just save up for what you want and get what you want later.

Hey, look at it this way... it will give you something else to look forward too. Building your ride the way you want take's discipline when you are cash strapped... and this is a test of yours.

Ask me how I know this...

CamaroJesse
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
the thing is the torque thrusts dont fit over those C5 brakes.

MrQuick
04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
They fit over all of my stuff? With a 5/16" spacer... but im with Chica...don't go backwards. You end up spending twice as much.

megaladon6
04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
how about c5/6 wheels? you can get them for $6-700

1969CamaroRS
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
My understanding is that Vintage Wheel Works wheels will also fit over the C5 brakes. I'd look into Budniks, Intro and Boze Forged as well.

I have been having the same problem you have had finding wheels that fit the C5 brakes, especially since I need at least a 11" wide rim in the back since I am going to mini-tub the car.

Here is my thread where I was basically asking the same thing:
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41794

TonyL
04-12-2008, 09:45 PM
what's your budget for wheels? Nineball is selling Iforged wheels right now that will surely work for like 1800 bucks.
And if that's too much, what about replica corvette wheels?

tom_a
04-12-2008, 11:45 PM
the thing is the torque thrusts dont fit over those C5 brakes.

Like Mr Quick said you just have to run spacers. Here is a pic of mine with ATS spindles, Kore3 C6 calipers and a 12.79 Baer rotor on a 17" CL205. I opted for the longer studs and I have 1/2" spacer in place (Might have got away with a litte less) but it clears. I would say do and get what you want. To me wheels are much easier to replace later than spindles. I want the $5,000.00 dollar rims also but have to wait for the right time.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/12002-1.jpg
Tom

chicane67
04-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Very cool Tom... very cool.

CamaroJesse
04-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Hmm. Well i allready bought the stock brakes so those will go on and im going to barrow my brothers SS wheels for a bit. Right now i couldnt even afford TT 2's becasue i have so many other things to buy for the car but maybe ina few months i will just get torque thrusts for the time being. I really would like to use those spindles. And as long as its safe to use a spacer then i can do that.

68sixspeed
04-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Jesse- check around more on rims; my 17x8 ROH's fit over the C5 brakes fine, in fact they are darn close on Kore3's template for the C6-Z06 (1/16 clearance); You should be able to find something you like that will clear without breaking the bank.

LS1NOVA
04-13-2008, 07:28 AM
How about 18" american racing Torqlites for $600 for 4 then send the back 2 to Weldcraft to widen for $300. Find some take off 18" tires on Ebay for cheap. I dont know for sure if they fit a C5 brake for sure though.

jknight16
04-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Whoa hold on a bit now... I'm running the ATS spindles with Baer GT (C5/C6) brakes and they fit inside my $950 per set 18" Coy's wheels just fine. I did have to use flush valve stems with these wheels though...

Terrible picture, but it is proof that it works...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/JeffscarSept07-1.jpg

Are they the wheels that I will run on the car forever? Certainly not...but they will work until my budget shifts to accomodate a set of forgelines or whathaveyou...

dstryr
04-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Whoa hold on a bit now... I'm running the ATS spindles with Baer GT (C5/C6) brakes and they fit inside my $950 per set 18" Coy's wheels just fine. I did have to use flush valve stems with these wheels though...

Terrible picture, but it is proof that it works...

Are they the wheels that I will run on the car forever? Certainly not...but they will work until my budget shifts to accomodate a set of forgelines or whathaveyou...

well when your budget shifts id be interested in purchasing them from you haha. Let me know.

Jimmy Sean
04-14-2008, 06:25 AM
send the back 2 to Weldcraft to widen for $300.

FYI - I just recieved my two back wheels that I had widened by Weldcraft and it was $225 each plus shipping. This was for an 18" wheel that was widened from 9.5" to 12". Outstanding work but I wanted to give you guys an actual example.