PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Dimensions

bbcc
04-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey guys. I've just picked up a new project vehicle, a 1989 s-10 Blazer 2 door 2 wheel drive. Like the rest of you, stock just isn't good enough. I'm not into the whole laying frame scene, or the cut coils and huge blocks that most dudes go with. I'm after something a bit more. After being a lurker for the past year or so, and reading way to much, I want to tackle a custom suspension. I belive my mechanical and designe skills are capabable of creating a performance oriented suspension system.

Now, I havn't started generating any numbers as far as geometry as of yet. I need to measure the stock frame, wheel wells, desired ride height, and such before I can do that (stupid snow :machine: ). However, I have started to do research on the hard parts that I will need.

Reading the threads of many different projects, mostly s-10 and g body based, I see the trend towards b-body spindles due to the 12" factory discs and larger bj to bj distance. Conversly, Marcus at sc&c has suggested tall upper and lower bj to increase the effective spindle height. Many are also going with the adjustable uca's from sc&c, while keeping the stock lowers. Marcus, as well as others, have confirmed this will give a better camber curve, rc, and bump-steer characteristics. I have a few questions though. Guys like jerome and hector are doing a very similar build style as me. They are after decent handeling on the cheap. I, however, am really cheap, so where hector and jerome used afx spindles, I need to go to the wreckers to get spindles. This is where the problem lies. I can't for the life of me find any literature, blue prints or drawings of factory spindles. I would love to go with b-body's but the optioin of tall upper and lowers on a stock s-10 spindle is tempting to. I've also read that second gen f-body's are slightly taller than s-10's aswell. Does anyone know the hieghts or dimensions of any common gm spindles. Aswell, what are the dimensions of the sc&c uca? The description says 8.75-10.25" but is that the distance from the ball joint to the cross shaft or the length of each arm? Also, I'm assuming that the g-body version will bolt in place of the stock s-10.

I appologize if this is a bit long winded, I'm not the greatest at conveying my thoughts through text. But any information that you guys might have would be very helpfull.

Cheers BBCC

greencactus3
04-11-2008, 09:49 AM
i have to go to diffeq lec now but i will check this thread later tonight. i think i may point you to a couple good directions

greencactus3
04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
i have heard to stay away from the tall b-body spindles, as from bumpsteer issues. aside from getting the afx spindles, i would think going with the howe tall balljoints is your best bet on getting the camber rate up.

i do not have the stock spindles anymore (bashes head against wall) but i will be able to take measurements off the belltech drop spindles in 2 weeks, if that would help.
(actually i will be measuring for myself anyways)

protourings10.makeforum.org is a s10 specific forum, which is still very young, so reading every single post will not be TOO long of a hassle, and there is already lots of good info there, along with many guys with the same goals including jeremy and hector.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/pdf/LD/LD_ST_Truck/LD_ST_Truck_pgs.pdf
is a place to get relatively useful dimensions, although the key dimensions i want were all unavailable from there, it is a good starting place for the rest.

bbcc
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks green. Yes, I have read a ton of threads over on protourings10. I've also read a few of your posts on s10forum. My main reason for wanting the b-body spinles is the large 12" rotors. I can most likely get around the bumpsteer issues, I was planning on changing up the steering linkages anyways (possibly r&p:cool: ). I've also been thinking about the possibilty of mounting a hub and rotor from other vehicles onto the s-10 spindle, but I am unsure of the bearing dimensions and what vehicles have similar dimensions. Also, do the first gen and second gen blazers share the same frame?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

Cheers bbcc

greencactus3
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
no, blazers have totally new frames from 98+ i think? the first gen and 95-97 are the same tho i think... dont know too much about blazers sorry

bbcc
04-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Cool beans. Again, I appreciate the help.

cheers bbcc