PDA

View Full Version : Guldstrand Leaf Spring Rubber Bushing Substitution

dansamodai
04-04-2008, 06:49 PM
OK, so I've got poly-bushed Guldstrand rear leaf springs in my 69 Camaro, and I think they may be binding in hard cornering, giving me some extra-exciting oversteer. Anybody had any luck finding a suitable rubber replacement for the front eyes, at least? I'd really rather do that than spend a big wad of cash on another set of springs. Thanks to David Pozzi for pointing this out to me, he's a pretty smart dude.

David Pozzi
04-04-2008, 09:42 PM
You can test your springs for this.
I did mine by unbolting the rear axle, jacking it up so it's clear of the leaf. I then used a BIG adjustable end wrench, A 22" long one, I put it on the leaf next to the center bolt, I put it upside down so the handle pointed slightly up. I stood on the end of the handle and then calcluated the torque applied and measured the deflection angle of the leaf. This gives foot lbs per degree deflection.

Here's a thread where I posted my test numbers: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26583

If you have excessive lean where the rear axle bottoms on the bumpstop, the car will surely oversteer suddenly.
David

chicane67
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Rubber ?? That is a backwards step in evolution...

Why not Del-A-Lum ??