PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen circle track trans am

68ls1wannabe
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Is there anyone out there who would want to share some info on how to make a 78 trans am turn left on dirt. We'll be racing in the pure stock class. I know it's not exactly pro touring but some things do relate. really need some cage suggestions. Maybe some books you could recommend for some info. I have read Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams. Good stuff.

mongoose
04-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Loose your right front brake... run lots of stagger... Don't know about stock car class rules

68sixspeed
04-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Will the rules let you remount the upper a-frames, use tubular a-arms, and/or go to adjustable spring perches (jacking bolts) or coil-overs? All good moves; also loose a few pounds if they let you by getting rid of the skid plate under the k-member (the crossmember under the motor).

MrQuick
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
check out Steve Smiths website. A lot of good info and this book has blueprints and necasary list of parts for construction. http://www.ssapubl.com/productList.aspx?track=PavedTrack&car=LateModelCars

68ls1wannabe
04-06-2008, 05:05 PM
were gonna go with the guldstrand mod for the front, solid upper and lower arm bushings. solid sway bar bushings and mounts. Stock sway bar looks to be 1". Stock left side front spring, stiff right side front spring. Also mounting the frame dirrectly to the body. Adjusting the rear leafs. Adding a leaf to the right side. solid mount on the left front spring eye. Rubber in the right front spring eye.

gt1guy
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Go to the races, hang out in the pits and find out what the front runners are doing. I know your probably already doing this. But it really is the best way to find out what works.

Kevin

recklessnova
04-06-2008, 11:40 PM
the guldstrand mod works for 2nd gens?

MrQuick
04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
the guldstrand mod works for 2nd gens? nope, not in the same way as it does for 1st gens.

recklessnova
04-08-2008, 06:28 AM
cool just making sure i wasnt missing something i had thought the second gens spindles fixed the problem that the gmod does on the first gens. guldstrand does make suspension parts for the second gen cars tho.

David Pozzi
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
You don't want to do the G mod on the left side, only on the right side, you want positive camber on the LF tire not negative like a road racer would use. Taller balljoints from Howe are an option too since the Upper A arm will hit the frame rail if it's lowered more than 1/2", there just isn't much room.
David

gt1guy
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
You don't want to do the G mod on the left side, only on the right side

I was wondering about that.

Kevin

68ls1wannabe
04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I knew it worked for the first gen. Didn't research. Thought it would work for 2nd gens too. thanks.