PDA

View Full Version : Calvert traction bars- drag only?

another69
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm wondering how Calvert bars would affect handling in a leaf spring car? There are so many suspension choices out there for 1st gen camaros, I'm curious if leaf springs are even an option for a decent handling car.

BanditDave
04-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Believe it or not, those bars were used in John's (Calvert's) car in road racing as well. I believe if I read correctly on his site (or it might have been in a mag artical) that they were originally intended for road racing.

There is an issue of Fastest Street Car magazine that documents the Cal-trac bars...it explains a lot on the bushings and stuff that is necessary to make the whole system work very very nicely.

Dave

another69
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I haven't talked to Calvert directly, but I'm wondering how the type of spring, or spring rate affects handling. It seems too good to be true if I can get good handling and launch at the same time with (seemingly) archaic leaf springs! Thanks for your input- everything I've read about them focuses on drag racing- if they work on a road course I'll seriously consider them.

silver69camaro
04-07-2008, 05:08 AM
When I used those there was way too much roll bind. I'd be curious to see what other people experienced.

fairlane347
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I LOVE mine, I have them on my 73 F-100 and it corners awsome, the rear tracks great just follows right in line. I have them on my Fairlane too but that is for straight lines only. Great product!!!!

another69
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
silver69camaro- I'm assuming you were using these on a camaro. What springs did you use?

silver69camaro
04-08-2008, 06:25 AM
They were a set of custom springs from Betts. About 160 lbs-in, 3-leaf, with bias towards the front for wrap-up prevention. Much like a Hotchkis spring.