PDA

View Full Version : cutting front coils

pro-touringAK
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm a newby first timer here. I have a 68 coupe mustang that I'm currently putting on the Grab-a-trak suspension kit on. The front coils are 620lb coils. The engine is a 302 and my question is, If I cut a half coil off, how far will it lower the car? What about a full coil?

Thanks
Brian

wwolfe
04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
cut in small increments....just advice I can give. You will get this process down fast

PRRC
04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Heres just a rule of thumb to go by. Measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well. say its 26" count the number of coils on the spring. say it has 10 coils each coil is holding the car 2.6". Cut off 1/2 a coil the car will drop 1.3"
Hope this helps.
Tim

pro-touringAK
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess taking in slow is the way to go. Can you cut a quarter of a coil or do you have to go with half?

vanzuuk1
04-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Do a search on carl cassanova or david pozzis website.

BillyShope
04-08-2008, 05:13 AM
1 - For the typical SLA suspension, where the spring is supported by the lower arm, measure...on the shop floor...from a point directly below the inner lower arm pivot to the center of the tire tread.

2 - Then, measure from the inner lower arm pivot to the spring axis on a line perpendicular to the spring axis.

3 - Divide this distance by the first distance measured (along the shop floor). (The result will be less than one.)

4 - Measure the installed length of the spring.

5 - Remove the spring and measure its uninstalled length.

6 - Divide the result from (5) by the result from (4). (This will be greater than one.)

7 - Multiply the result from (3) by the result from (6).

4 - For each inch of decreased ride height, cut the result from (inches, NOT coils) (7) from the uninstalled (free) spring length.

The ride rate will increase by the ratio of the original free length to the new free length.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ewhshope)

pro-touringAK
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
WOW! I'm going to have to read that a couple...many times before I understand it. Thanks for the info