PDA

View Full Version : Power steering woes!!!!!

69camarokid
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Im currently finishing up an LT1 swap into my 69 and im having some problems with power steering.

Im using the 69s power steering unit with the LT1's power steering resivoir, but im having trouble getting the power steering tube to reach from the resivoir to the actually power steering unit since they are on opposite sides of the engine.

Does anyone know where i can order and extra long power steering hose from. Or is there some way i dont know of to legnthen the hose.
Im coming down on my last few things needed to get my baby up an running after 3 years so any helf would be greatly appriciated. thanks!

TonyHuntimer
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
You best bet is to build your own power steering hose from high-pressure power steering hose and fittings. If you don't want to spend the dough for steel braid covered nylon high-pressure hose and their fittings, get yourself the blue or plack high-pressure power steering/hydraulic hose with steel -6AN fittings on the ends and get the adapters to screw into the pump and box to adapt them to -6AN male.

Here's the fitting for your older box... XRP and other fitting companies offer them as well.
http://detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/steeringprod/gear_fittings_us_prod.htm

And then get a similar fitting to adapt the pump.

Whatever you do, don't use standard low pressure steel-braided hose for power steering on the pressure side of the system. Pressure can spike 3 times higher than that hose is rated.

Good luck,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

69camarokid
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
as my projects is nearing the end, so is my budget, so wont be going the braided steel route.

But where can i go to pic up about a 4-5 foot legnth of high pressure power steering hose????

69camarokid
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
so what i really need is just another foot or two in the legnth of the high pressure power steering tube. Is there any kind of connector that will allow me to add on some extra tubing and connect the two.

Or does anyone know where i can pick up a 4-5 foot piece of power steering tubing? and then id just have to find a way to get teh metal tubing piece off the old tube and onto the longer new one...

any ideas?

HectorM52
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
so what i really need is just another foot or two in the legnth of the high pressure power steering tube. Is there any kind of connector that will allow me to add on some extra tubing and connect the two.

Or does anyone know where i can pick up a 4-5 foot piece of power steering tubing? and then id just have to find a way to get teh metal tubing piece off the old tube and onto the longer new one...

any ideas?
Go to a shop that sells hydraulic hoses (typically a machine shop or performance parts shop). Even call tractor-trailer or "bulldozer" shops. All you need is 5/8" hydraulic hose. It will be pretty stiff but you definitely need the heavy-duty stuff. The fluid will eat through typical AutoZone/Oreilly/Advance type hoses. Don't confuse it with the REALLY stiff braided/hydraulic hoses that they actually use on bulldozers. That's TOO stiff!! But most likely they'll carry something you can use.

I got mine for 5-6 bucks a foot.

TonyHuntimer
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
We sell it at Goodies Speed Shop in San Jose.

Hector is right. Or if you have a retailer in your area that stocks XRP fittings and hoses, the hose is called Power Steering Hose. The bulk XRP part number is 510006. Get the amount you want and the steel fittings to build the hose. They sell straight, 45 and 90degree fittings. You'll most likely need two 90 degree fittings...XRP part number 509006. The XRP fitting to thread into your power steering box is either 790586 (5/8-18) or 791166 (11/16-18). I can't remember which is the high-pressure fitting size. Don't know what fitting you'll need for your pump...You just need to adapt it to -6AN male.

These parts are not badly priced...like braided hose would be.

Good luck,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com