PDA

View Full Version : LT1 where to find, which year is best, cost?

Rileys68Camaro
02-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Looking at the LT1 swap, as I'm sure it's cheaper than the LS1.

But, what cars should I look at for donor's? In about 98-99 I almost bought a motor out of a 97-98, don't remember, Z28 but he wanted $5,000 for the motor, auot trans and whatever else I needed.

I still almost bought it, but I was quoted $1500+ to wire it in. Now I now better, but don't know what to look for or watch out for.

Still on a budget though. Looking at this before I put a lot of money and time into my caburated 350.

Currently, I have a 700R4 but hope to switch to a 5 speed.

Kinda window shopping...

WS6
02-03-2005, 05:19 PM
92-96 vettes and 93-97 fbodies have lt1s. the 96 vette had the lt4 if it was a manual trans car. thats even better to get ahold of , but its doubtful youll find one for a cheap price. yes other cars had the lt1, but none of the other cars had aluminum heads.

personally if i was gonna buy an lt1 i would get a 95-97. with even more preference on the 95s. the 95s were obd1 and had vented opti sparks. the 96-97 were obd2. you can easily change them to obd1, but why if you can get an obd1 to begin with. search junk yards especially vette or fbody yards. i wouldnt pay anymore than 2500 for complete engine with brackets, trans, and ecm and wiring harness. thats a running engine with lower miles in a high demand area. you honestly shouldnt have to pay more than 1500, its just gonna depend on where you can find one.

also realize you can get an ls1 for 4k easily with everything like i said you should get for the lt1. the dry back is to my knowlegde there are no after market brackets availible for the ls1. the ac compressor sits on the lower right side of the engine. i know on the second and third gens the front sub frame has to be notched for it to fit. not sure with the first gens though.

oh and six speeds rule. why only have five when you can have six?

maldo
02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Looking at the LT1 swap, as I'm sure it's cheaper than the LS1.

But, what cars should I look at for donor's? In about 98-99 I almost bought a motor out of a 97-98, don't remember, Z28 but he wanted $5,000 for the motor, auot trans and whatever else I needed.

I still almost bought it, but I was quoted $1500+ to wire it in. Now I now better, but don't know what to look for or watch out for.

Still on a budget though. Looking at this before I put a lot of money and time into my caburated 350.

Currently, I have a 700R4 but hope to switch to a 5 speed.

Kinda window shopping...

OK there are couple of different versions and vary from year to year.
stick with the f-body config and try to get a complete set up with wiring harness and all (it would be easier Note stay away from 1993 fbody version (this is the only year they still had the chip pcm (with is pre OBD1 pain in the ass to tune etc plu it does not have a mass air flow sensor )

Also there is some differences in the t-56 used in the f-body 93-94 (gear ratio and less torque rating). Try to stick with the 95-97 T56

If you are to get a complete set up stick with 95-96 f-body This has the improved vented optispark ( the non vented optisparks sparks are hard to come by and are more pron to failure) and 24 pound injectors (95-96 is also a ODB1 set up (easy to tune etc)

95-97 have the upgrades powered connecting rods and light weight pistons set up.

The only major difference between 95-96 and 97 model years is 3 things

1) OBD2 pcm (little bit harder to tune but not that bad)
2) Different timing chain cover to make room for the reluctor ring for misfire counts (you can tell this by the sensor coming out of the bottom of the timing chain cover).
3) Different crank pulley hub (its shorter) (this is important if you change the pulley for supercharged application

I have owned and worked on a ton of lt1s and know them from top to bottom and all there problems mainly the opti-sparks) send me a pm if you want to know more info

rocketman
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
93 has the different T-56, 94-97 all have the same.

24 pound injectors 94-97

Opti doesn't really matter you'll want a MSD opti anyway

Some 94's have 4 bolt blocks because they started putting vette engines in them they had a engine shortage that year

Samckitt
02-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Like others have said look for the 95 or newer setup with preference on the 95. That is what I have, I got mine (supposedly with 25K miles on it) with wiring, PCM, T56 trans, driveshaft for $3K back in around 2000/2001. I had John Spears at speartech rework the wiring harness for $500 & I bought the Impala SS electric fans from him for around $100 & I already had a GN sending unit & fuel pump.

I personally would have rather had the Vette front accessoreis, it would have fit better in the Monte than the F body setup, but I have managed to get it to work.

maldo
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
93 has the different T-56, 94-97 all have the same.

24 pound injectors 94-97

Opti doesn't really matter you'll want a MSD opti anyway

Some 94's have 4 bolt blocks because they started putting vette engines in them they had a engine shortage that year

There is a difference in the optis... thats worth noting trust me I have worked on LT1's for years and the "non vented opti is very hard to get parts for (look at the msd products its for the vented opti only) also if you wanted to change from a "Non Vented" opti to a Vented opti... its more invloved then swaping out optis from year to year (example: "non Vented " opti uses a different timing cover, timing top gear, dowel pin in the cam is different) Plus oil control around the vented opti is better.

rocketman
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
There is a difference in the optis... thats worth noting trust me I have worked on LT1's for years and the "non vented opti is very hard to get parts for (look at the msd products its for the vented opti only) also if you wanted to change from a "Non Vented" opti to a Vented opti... its more invloved then swaping out optis from year to year (example: "non Vented " opti uses a different timing cover, timing top gear, dowel pin in the cam is different) Plus oil control around the vented opti is better.

True I converted my Lt1 over

Rybar
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
LOL has anybody read the DATE of the original Post? 2005...hello :razz:

maldo
03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
LOL has anybody read the DATE of the original Post? 2005...hello :razz:

lol lol lol :hammer: o well maybe it will help someone out down the line

withnail
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Its fate! - i just came on here on the off-chance of finding some LT1 info and here was this old thread right near the top.
I am looking at the LT1 as a cheaper way to get fuel injection into an old truck than going for an LS1.

indyjps
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
go to ls1tech.com, they are practically giving away LT1's