PDA

View Full Version : Q for 3rd gen novas w/Hotchkis front springs

jimmer
03-30-2008, 05:01 PM
*** edit*** 3rd gen is what I meant to write...not 2nd. 68-74 baby....*****

Just got the Hotchkis front spring installed on the Drivers side front.

With the worn out 225/70/14's the ground to fender lip measurement is 27 1/4 inches. With the stock f41 worn out saggy spring I was at 27 3/8 inches.

I did make sure the spring was in the upper and lower pockets. (first try was a measurement of 28 inches.)

Can those that have the Hotchkis springs gimme a measurment on the front of your car(s)?

This thing needs to drop about 2 inches in my book. Time to cut a coil?

Thanks

Jim

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/1545479_IMG-1.jpg

jimmer
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
So...NO one is running a front Hotchkis spring in their 68-74 nova...that can take a tape measure and go from the floor to the to of the wheel well opening...?

How bout if I offer an "e-beer" or three!

MarkM66
03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Is the car drivable?

Drive it around a little and let the springs settle.

If it's not low enough, time to cut. I had to cut the Hotchkis springs in my Camaro, wasn't low enough.

jimmer
03-31-2008, 08:45 AM
not driveable....no brakes...no tank...

I think I will cut a coil...

Knew that I shoulda went wtih bags...damn.... :)

LowBuckX
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
I dont have a measurment but here is how mine sat when I first installed them with the same rims as in your pic... This is also with the Hotchkis leafs..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

JDP Jordan
03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
So...NO one is running a front Hotchkis spring in their 68-74 nova...that can take a tape measure and go from the floor to the to of the wheel well opening...?

How bout if I offer an "e-beer" or three!
Did you just replace the front springs? Did you do bushings or anything else? They will settle a good 1"-2". A coil would be excessive, I would start with a 1/4 coil if you cut them at all.

zbugger
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
I want to know what else was done to the car. It looks like what happens when you install poly bushings in front and tighten everything in the air. Bind city. I have a 2nd gen Camaro, but my car sat a TON lower than that. In fact, from the stock sagging springs, it lowered the car about 1 inch. Give us more info on what was done to the car besides springs. Is the hood installed? Is the cooling system filled? What engine is in it?

JDP Jordan
03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
I want to know what else was done to the car. It looks like what happens when you install poly bushings in front and tighten everything in the air. Bind city. I have a 2nd gen Camaro, but my car sat a TON lower than that. In fact, from the stock sagging springs, it lowered the car about 1 inch. Give us more info on what was done to the car besides springs. Is the hood installed? Is the cooling system filled? What engine is in it?
That's where I was going with it.:idea: If Poly/Delrin bushings were installed in the air and tightened down that's the issue. It's happened to me. Plus as you said zbugger is everything else installed?:)

jimmer
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering the questions...internet down at the house...connected thru my phone now...

Let's see...car is a small block with alum heads, intake and headers.

Hood is on. No coolant or ront bumper...but measurement goes down only 1/2 inch or less with my fat 220lb a$% sitting on the core support.

LCA's are stock with Del a Lum bushings...bolts are NOT tight...nuts on only a few threads and arms move RREAL nice ;)

UCA's are SCandC and the "end nuts" are loose on those too...good travel up and down. (when I got them..used...nuts so tight that when mounted it was all u could do to move the arms) Nice and loose now.

Honestly I can not imagine that the car will settle 1-2 inches as mentioned...that means that the new springs are saggin off the bat. But anything is possible I guess..

As mentioned in the 1st post...this is the height of the front end with original F41 springs...what are they now...35 years old...

There is clearance around the springs...read a post where they were "off" in the upper bucket and there was not any clearance in the front.

Will go back out in the am and take it apart and put back together again to make sure all is well...

wonder if it is possible that I was sent the 1906 big block springs even though I ordered the 1907 small block? Is the big block a TALLER spring and have the same rate though as the small block?

Anyone have a "free height" measurement of either spring? I could call Hotchkis tomorrow I guess and ask...

zbugger
03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
It's possible, but I'd call them and ask just to be sure. Aluminum heads, intake, and fiberglass hood will all contribute to the front end being high, but not that high. Without seeing the stock springs and the Hotchkis springs next to each other, I can't tell you what the issue is.

LowBuckX
03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I have Alu heads Fiberglass hood poly bushings.

jimmer
04-01-2008, 07:13 AM
It has the steel hood...not fiberglass.

Maybe it's time to revisit 1985 when these pix were taken with airshocks in back and Enkei wheels! sittin high baby.

Nevermind the Duece...not mine...was a friends...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/cars-1.jpg

Stock spring Vs Hotchkis

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/1515131_IMG-1.jpg

jimmer
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
OK...off the phone with hotchkis...

I do have the correct springs...1907F part number 19830012 on the spring.

Guy says the car will settle a little bit. Maybe an inch. Says it sounds like I need a 3 inch drop spring. Of course they did not recommend cutting the spring... :)

Took apart the front and measured the front spring I have... 12 3/8 inches tall. FYI...the big block 1906 spring free height is 12.875 tall.

I guess that I will forgo the gym this month and just "bounce up and down " on the front end to simulate driving.. ha ha ha.

Still have not recieved any "measurements" from other 3rd gen owners with these springs...cut or not.

69bigblock
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I have hotchkis springs but the car is on jack stands. If you plan on cuting the spring I would wait a while and drive the car. If you cut to much off in the begining and then drive the car and be weigh too low...

69Nova
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Ground to fender lip on my car is 25 3/4".

The front tire is 215/70/15

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/09/P1010267-1.jpg

DarkoNova
04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Here's a pic of the Hotchkis spring versus a stock replacement spring with a cut coil versus the stock springs that came with the car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/100_0526-1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a pic with the springs installed, but I just measured and from the ground to the fender is 23 3/4" with 215/55R16's.

Matt

jimmer
04-02-2008, 07:29 AM
That sounds more like the # I need to be at. Kids on Spring Break right now...and wifey has us off to the Denver zoo. E-eers to all who have replied!

Keep those measurements coming...

Jim

jimmer
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok...had some time to take the other side apard and have the Howe lowerball joints installed an the Del a Lum bushings. Only had the drivers side done...but springs were in.

I go to get the lower arm back today and the idiots a the shop I took it to (different than the shop that did the left side) used an air hammer to get the big gushing out of the LCA.

In doing so the tweaked the arm a bit and now the new bushing will not line up to go thru the "2nd hole" and seat into the LCA. Man am I pi$$ed! Of course they did not have any way today of truing to fix THEIR problem...

THEN to top it off the guy says..."hey this lower balljoint is real loose" I said...yeah...it like 70 bucks and from Howe. He says :"no...look at me pull it up and down" as he pulls the stud in and out of the socket!!!

Nice...looks like I will have to rebuild or get another LBJ and we'll see if they can fix the arm so the lca bushing will go in. I guess I will call Marcus tomorrow...

Reason I did not go back to the first shop that did the left side...did not want to drive the truck to that side of town with 4 buck diesel. Went to a shop about 5 min from my house.. Big mistake.

"rant off"

6'9"Witha69
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Quick ?, was the sway bar bolted up at all? Sometimes without shorter end links and the swaybar mounted to the frame a little far back it can cause a bind that will negatively impact the cars ability to fully rest on the springs. Ultimately the endlink bolts will bend and it will be OK, but that could be a culprit or contributing factor.

jimmer
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Nope...that is a good idea though...sway bar not hooked up.

Looks like it twill be TIGHT anyway...when it goes in...the "dip" section that goes under the balancer looks like it will be REAL close to the cross member.

70Nova4dr
04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Can you use lowering springs for a smallblock car in an ilnine 6 car? What is the weight of a smallblock compared to an inline 6 ?

LT1Nova
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Here's a pic of my 71 with Hotchkis front springs. They've been in there a couple years and I think I need to go a bit lower. Sorry I did not measure and the car is on jackstands right now. 27.3" 235/50R18 front and 29.0" 255/55R18 rears

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif