PDA

View Full Version : What Chassis to use

70RS
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I bought a 68 camaro project with a Schwartz chassis and LS2 with 6 speed. Schwartz builds a good chassis that is a pretty a extreme set up for hard core road racing. I don't Know how comfortable this would be for daily driving. I am leaning more towards setups that use C5 suspension. I haven't had any luck trying to sell my rolling chassis with moser circle track style 9 inch with wilwood disc brakes. I am debating on if I want to use it or not.

silver69camaro
03-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Is the car drivable? Run it and see how you like it. If it's still a project, don't worry about it. No sense in worrying about that until you know how it drives. I can't imagine you wouldn't like it.

CamaroLance
03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Schwartz-Camaro-Pro-Touring-Chassis-67-68-69_W0QQitemZ200209786748QQihZ010QQcategoryZ42609QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would have a hard time not giving that thing a shot...

dipren443
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I bought a 68 camaro project with a Schwartz chassis and LS2 with 6 speed. Schwartz builds a good chassis that is a pretty a extreme set up for hard core road racing. I don't Know how comfortable this would be for daily driving. I am leaning more towards setups that use C5 suspension. I haven't had any luck trying to sell my rolling chassis with moser circle track style 9 inch with wilwood disc brakes. I am debating on if I want to use it or not.

Just throwing this out there as it seems to be a common misconception. A rigid, stiff chassis doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a stiff suspension. I like to use the term rigid instead of stiff as it implies a chassis that resists displacement/deflection under torsional loads.

I would recommend keeping the beautiful Schwartz chassis and selecting your spring and shock combo to provide a comfortable ride.

The stiff chassis, with a properly compliant suspension, will help eliminate squeaks, creaks, rattles, etc. Just make sure you pick some softer spring rates and matched shock valving.

My 2 cents :)

dhutton
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I would keep the Schwartz chassis. Hard to imagine you could not adjust the ride to your liking. Should be a great car when you are finished.

Did you talk to Jeff about his chassis and what you want to do with it?

Don

70RS
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Currently I have chassis out from under the car and installing detroit speed mini tubs. I need to call Jeff Schwartz and get some input on it.
It is clearenced for air ride shcock waves. Yes it is on ebay.

GTOnate
03-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Just throwing this out there as it seems to be a common misconception. A rigid, stiff chassis doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a stiff suspension. I like to use the term rigid instead of stiff as it implies a chassis that resists torsional loads.

I would recommend keeping the beautiful Schwartz chassis and selecting your spring and shock combo to provide a comfortable ride.

The stiff chassis, with a properly compliant suspension, will help eliminate squeaks, creaks, rattles, etc. Just make sure you pick some softer spring rates and matched shock valving.

My 2 cents :)
Agreed

John Bulba
03-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi, I have a customers car in the shop with the "Schwartz chassis "< I am not here to blast his stuff but if it were my car I would not use one. Overall quality is not bad, but there are some design issues,maily ride height ground clearance.If you look at this pic. you will see that car is set at ride height, at this height the lowest part of the chassis is only 3" off the ground yet you have a large gap for tire fenderwell clearance.Like I said I am NOT trying to put his stuff down,Just letting you know what we have found when using one of his chassis....

http://www.americanracecomponents.com/images/DSCF1177.JPG