PDA

View Full Version : My first time!

72monteman
03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I am looking for some help in the proper procedure for installing rear suspension parts. I have purchased the Currectrac upper adj arms and billet lowers for a GM A body. I have never done this job b4 and need some guidance. I will be doing this with jack stands in the drive way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MrQuick
03-23-2008, 10:28 AM
remove the shocks...pop the springs out...and do one arm at a time. I like to do tops first.

Floor jack dead center and stands out at each end loose. You are going to want to be able to pivot the rear end a bit.

72monteman
03-23-2008, 04:37 PM
THANKS for the tips went smooth just finnished only took 3 hrs. All is good, next up is the front uppers and lowers ans new steering box I'll get to that on Wensday

protour_chevelle
03-23-2008, 06:21 PM
One thing I would be careful about with the fronts is... the stock coils are soo long and soft that they have tons of spring in them, so when you seperate the balljoints... Try and protect yourself lol, cause a spring shooting out can mess you up badly. If you have a method of cutting the spring to release tension you could do that, or what I like doing is the following...

With the car on jackstands(I'm assuming your car has the engine in it), place your floor jack under the lower ball joint area. Jack it up so you can see the control arm go up just a hair. Make sure your calipers are removed and wire tied up and away from your work area. There is not enough length in the lines for disk/drum to do my method. Back the castle nut off, but leave a couple turns on so everything doesn't blow apart on you. Now get your pickle fork and start swingin the hammer to seperate the upper ball joint from the spindle. Lowering the floor jack a bit if its not seperating. Once you can see that you broke the friction fit, Jack up the spindle a bit and take the castle nut off. Now lower the floor jack carefully. Once the drum/disk is touching the floor the spring should have no spring to it at all and should fall out.

Hope that makes sense. I'm typing it inbetween studying haha. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-Matt

72monteman
03-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks, i have done some front suspension b4, last year i put fat man spindles and new springs in it :pat: . So I just got SC&C stage 2 kit and new lowers w/ del-a-lums, from what I've read i should be much happer w/ this set up.