PDA

View Full Version : Spring Tech Lowering Springs

Tony_SS
03-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I just got a set off of Ebay. This company was my last resort to try and get a set of 2" G-body drop springs. (OPG has them on backorder). All the other big name companies only advertise a 1" drop and that all my old Eibachs gave me.

I got the front and rears for $155. Not a bad price. I'll be happy if they set the car right.

I'll post pics when I get them installed.

Anyone else have any experience with them?

Lowend
03-23-2008, 07:25 AM
They are made by Suspension Techniques
I've used them before... not bad but definitely street stuff

greencactus3
03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
arent they a part of AIM?
if so, ive heard a ****ton of bad stuff about them

PRRC
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Try a place called coil spring specialties. They will make you what ever you need.
Tim

Big H
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
It looks like you guys have some mixed information. Spring Tech is a stand alone company. Spring Tech is owned by the guy that used to own Suspension Techniques before he sold it off to Belltech. Both of those companies are now owned by KW Automotive. Spring Tech springs are still coming from reputable sources and none of which are Chassis Tech, AIM, Airbagit, or any of the other myriad of companies that Joe Morrow controls and has a terrible reputation with in the aftermarket. As specified by "Lowend", yes they are mostly street setup and work fine but don't do anything great.

Tony_SS
03-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, I put the rear Spring Tech springs in and it slammed the back, about a 1/4 above the tires. This was bought as a 2" G-body drop kit. Even though the springs were much shorter than the Eibachs, I tried them anyway and here's how it ended up. I talked to Bill there and he's supposed to have them picked back up. I think I will just go with 3/2" OPG drop springs.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/c30-1.jpg

Big H
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
That certainly looks low. Did you do a before and after measurement? If you did please post what the numbers were so that anybody buying those springs knows what drop (dump) they're getting.

Tony_SS
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
No measurements, but here's a before shot with the Eibach 'lowering' springs.

I can't win here. Guess I'll just keep trying out different set's so I dont have to resort to hacking up some Moogs.

86Cutlass383SR
03-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Tony if those are *lowering* springs I'd hate to see what reg ride height would be. Might be able to fit some 31" x 10.50" truck tires under it...LOL

Doug

Tony_SS
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah no doubt Doug. In all fairness, the advertise a .08 drop in the rear. --- Whats the point of that?

Plus I have an aluminum trunk so I bet it didn't drop at all.

Good thing is though, Spring Tech is sending me out a set of aluminum spacers for the upper rears, which will add an 1" to the slammed rear pic up there.

I'll get the stance I'm after sooner or later...

86Cutlass383SR
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Tony you could always run a Moog Cargo Coil for a 3rd gen f-body. The bottom is pigtailed like the g-body and the top is round so they could be cut to height. I've had them in my Cutlass.

Got pics of your alum trunk? I'm doing a fuel cell in my trunk and would like to do something with the trunk too

Doug

nowukno
03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Tony,I see nothing wrong with the rear drop,It seems to me that your wheels and tires are a little too wide.If you had wheels that tucked in under your fenders it might work out better for you..

nowukno
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Tony whats the offset and width of your will combo anyway??

nowukno
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Tony here is a shot of the rear of the el camino with 17x8 4.5 B.S with 275/40/17 tire with 2-2.5 " drop.Not as wide as yours but with the correct B.S you could run monte with that spring in the rear.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Tony_SS
04-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Doug, actually its an aluminum trunk lid itself.

Jonnie the wheels are 17x9.5 with 285/40's.. I could use some lip rolling but they set about 1/4" in from the outside edge.

Once I get that spacer in and raise it up another 1" I think it should be perfect.

nowukno
04-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Oh 17X9.5,yea that is a wide wheel ,Hope the spacer works out.At any rate,The Monte looks really good man,How the Bu' coming along?

79_GBody
04-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Personally I like the way it looks with the new rear springs installed, and think it'll look wicked with the fronts installed. But I'm sure you'll have all sorts of clearence issues when turning. I haven't gotten that far yet with my project but I plan on going the same route when I get to lowering my 79.

nowukno
04-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Personally I like the way it looks with the new rear springs installed, and think it'll look wicked with the fronts installed. But I'm sure you'll have all sorts of clearence issues when turning. I haven't gotten that far yet with my project but I plan on going the same route when I get to lowering my 79.
2X's I agree I really wish it could work at the height it sits in the rear and of course bring the front down,but clearance is the big issue

Tony_SS
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh 17X9.5,yea that is a wide wheel ,Hope the spacer works out.At any rate,The Monte looks really good man,How the Bu' coming along?

The Bu is doing great as a driver for now... patiently waiting until I get to a good spot with the Monte.

I'm going to try and use the springs... another .5-.75 lift with that spacer and that should give me the clearance I need. Then I'll tackle the front arms/springs/brakes all in one shot.

nowukno
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
The Bu is doing great as a driver for now... patiently waiting until I get to a good spot with the Monte.

I'm going to try and use the springs... another .5-.75 lift with that spacer and that should give me the clearance I need. Then I'll tackle the front arms/springs/brakes all in one shot.
Cool keep us posted with pics and stuff