PDA

View Full Version : extreme newb! Should I choose my wheels before suspension setup?

thunderzy
03-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Extreme Newbie question. Do you recomend I select my wheel and tire combo before choosing a suspension setup?

ProdigyCustoms
03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
No, you should really plan it all together, suspension, brakes, wheel / tires. Then you can buy a little at a time if you need, but you have to make sure all will work togtether. So what are your thoughts?

thunderzy
03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I want a pro-touring setup, considering staggered sized wheel and tires. Im thinking 17's up front and 18's in the rear. Unfortunately I havent made my mind on which wheels to pick, there are just too many to choose from. The concept for this 79 firebird build is pro-touring road racer style. Any suggestions, comments, help is extremely appreciated, as this is my first project car.

Thanks guys

silver69camaro
03-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Wheels should be one of the absolute last things you purchase. There is no sense is building a car around a set of wheels you already own.

Norm Peterson
03-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Having some idea about the tire and wheel dimensions (including offset) in the beginning is probably a good thing. It represents volumes in space that you can move slightly to accommodate clearance issues on either the inside or the outside, but not necessarily both. Or both if you can live either with compromised (read, smaller) wheel/tire sizing or can relocate whatever any clearance issue(s) are with.

Just don't actually buy the things until you've built all the other stuff and have made enough measurements to guarantee that what you can buy for wheels & tires will fit.

Norm