PDA

View Full Version : A-Body Spindle Brake Combo Info

rockyday
03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi,

I have a oval track stock car, square tube frame and a second gen Camaro front clip. At present time I have an after market spindle, but rules have changed to an OEM spindle only. Most cars here are using the big Impala spindle and rotor combo. I want to use the A-body 2 piece spindle since I have a rare set of 8 degree 442 spindles. My question is this: is there a 5x5 bolt pattern rotor combo that will bolt up to this spindle directly? Someone said possibly that the 73 to 77 Chevelle spindles would work and they had a set that were redrilled to 5x5. I am also thinking that since I use a 5 inch offset wheel, that the bolt on steering arm would give me more tie rod tire clearance than the one piece Impala spindle. Thanks in advance. This is a great site.

86Cutlass383SR
03-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I know some of the Impalas, Caddies, Buicks, etc used a 5x5 rotor. I'm not sure if the bearing sizes are compatible with your spindle. If memory serves me right, there are some guys using the B body spindle and run a 12" big brake swap and then run a 12" 1LE Camaro rotor (5x4.75). So...with that being said....and I'm no authoritive on this....just may work.

Doug

Marcus SC&C
03-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Oooo boy,you`re opening a real can o worms. :) Exactly what aftermarket spindles are you running now? Virtually all of them are much taller than 2 piece A body spindles which is going to make a huge change in geometry. Steering arms are in pretty much the same place as most aftermarket ones and roughly the same length so I think that may be a wash,except for some fine tuning for the bumpsteer. I`m sure at one time some one made a 5x5 hub for them but they`re rarely used anymore and I haven`t seen any hubs like that lately. The B spindle is the most common and basically what your subframe originally came with. With a little bit of tweaking they work very well on that subframe. They may have tie rod clearance issues with 5"BS as you mentioned (4.5" would be more like it) but overall they may be your best choice on that car. Mark SC&C

rockyday
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
hi again my current spindles are port city 7 3/4tall 3 1/2 drop on right side and 8 1/2 tall 3 1/2 drop on left side i have adjustable upper arms.
i might be able to slide by a dropped a body spindle as no one here uses this combo
are there shops that can redrill a rotor to 5x5 specs?
thanks again. is great this site