PDA

View Full Version : pitman arm removal-2nd gen camaro

2manyprojs
03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I am trying to remove the pitman arm from the power steering pump of a 79 z28.
Does anyone have any suggestions as I can seem to budge the nut holding it onto the pump.
Thanks

Damn True
03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I am trying to remove the pitman arm from the power steering pump of a 79 z28.

Well, there's your problem, the pittman arm is supposed to be on the steering gear, not the pump. Geez, that must play hell with the belts.

Seriously, I think I've only gotten one or two off in my lifetime w/o a puller.

2manyprojs
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
As you can tell a little frustrated today, i meant the power steering gear box not the pump

cheapthrillz
03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
1/2 inch breaker bar with that rediculously large socket..... then put a metal pipe on the breaker bar and get two people to "tug" (pull like hell) on it at the same time.... that nut better be on there tight, or else you could loose all steering if the pitman arm comes off....

This is how I did it.... i couldn't even get the nut loose with a 1" drive air impact..... two people are stronger than 1 drill....

good luck with it!

It is even more fun to get the arm off the box after you get the nut off....

2manyprojs
03-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks cheapthrillz.

cheapthrillz
03-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks cheapthrillz.

No problem.... glad to help!

David Pozzi
03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
The nut is nothing compared to pulling the pitman arm off!

I've had to heat the pitman arm with a torch and even then using a VERY beefy puller, had to put a C clamp around the puller because it kept spreading out and slipping off!

cheapthrillz
03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
The nut is nothing compared to pulling the pitman arm off!

I've had to heat the pitman arm with a torch and even then using a VERY beefy puller, had to put a C clamp around the puller because it kept spreading out and slipping off!

That was what I was trying to warn him about! lol

Getting the nut off is the easy part!

WARNING! Don't try to put the steering box in a vice and yank on the pitman arm.... Just ask Formula.... you will probably end up needing stitches when you drop the damn thing on your foot.... been there done that!

Jim Nilsen
03-23-2008, 01:59 AM
This solution is something I have used to get locking collars and arms off of other machinery that things wouldn't let go and you couldn't use a torch or you would ruin the seal next to it.

You have to cut at an angle to get clearance if you can and on the steering box I think there is more than enough room to do this.

Cut it with a sawzall or a cut off tool and make a slot all the way to the shaft, you can usually get by with just getting close and not get to the shaft. Once you are at that point take a good chisel and drive it into the slot and it will spread it off of the shaft if it doesn't snap it and you should be good to go. It seems like more work to start with for a simple puller removal but if you go directly to with this method it will save you a lot of time and frustration when the part is already bad and can't be repaired.

Hope this might help in other areas when you need to remove something off of a shaft or just get a stubborn nut off.

Roadbuster
03-23-2008, 06:32 AM
I found that spraying the threads with penetrating oil (liquid wrench and WD40 is what I used) and let it soak helps when the fasteners are stuck.

I just took the pitman arm off - used an electric impact gun for the nut and a pitman arm puller loaned from Autozone. As cheapthrillz said, getting the nut off was the easy part. The arm took two days of soaking with penetrating oil and about ten tries with the puller. Just when I thought it was going to break it popped off.

Jon

formula
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
That was what I was trying to warn him about! lol

Getting the nut off is the easy part!

WARNING! Don't try to put the steering box in a vice and yank on the pitman arm.... Just ask Formula.... you will probably end up needing stitches when you drop the damn thing on your foot.... been there done that!

haha, yeah, that left a nice dent and scar in my ankle.