PDA

View Full Version : Lowered G-body's height

BigBlockOlds
03-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Those of you with a G-body that has been lowered, how far off the ground is your engine crossmember?

I was mocking up my suspension without springs and was curious where everyone's sat at to see if I had gotten mine close at all. I'm thinking I am way low since mine is only at 8" above the ground.

But, I don't have any sheetmetal on the car to compare it with.

This is a picture I took last night:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/Front343-1.jpg

Thanks,

Tony_SS
03-21-2008, 04:45 AM
I'll take a measurement after the new arms/springs are in. I'm going to trim up a pair of 2" drop springs up front and run a 2" drop in the rear.

Yours looks awesome so far!

jackfrost
03-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Andy, I don't have measurements of mine, but my floor jack slips under the crossmember with maybe a couple inches to spare. it's pretty low.

Marcus SC&C
03-22-2008, 07:52 AM
8" under the engine crossmember is actually pretty high,you still have to get the engine in there and the front end on before you can have any indication of your final ride height. 4.5"-5" is very common for lowered G bodys. 4.25" is about as low as you can go and not screw up the geometry (assuming a Stage 2 or AFX suspension package which incorperate some drop). With stock front suspension around 5"-5.5" min. for decent LCA geometry. The Cutlass is looking good so far,keep up the good work! Mark SC&C

BigBlockOlds
03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Thats what I just found out last night. I cleared out some things in the barn and was able to lay under my '81 to measure it and came up with right around 7" to the bottom of the crossmember. This is with a stock suspension and 245/60R14 tires.

I realize I won't know final ride height until I have all of the weight in the car, I was just a little anxious to see what it will look like. ;) I have a set of cable limiters that I welded to the frame and lower control arms that I'm adjusting for the heights. Thanks for the info everyone!

jerome
03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
could you post pictures (or a link) to the cable limiters?

Thanks,
Jerome

BigBlockOlds
03-24-2008, 03:23 AM
I can take a better picture of them tonight afterwork. You can see the top of one in my picture above just behind the tire on the frame.
Mine I bought from Jeg's.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40233/10002/-1