PDA

View Full Version : points eliminator with MSD

another69
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has used a crane XRi points eliminator with an MSD digital 6 or 6al box successfully. I just rebuilt the distributor and would hate to have to buy a new one if I don't have to. My current distributor is an aluminum bodied pre - HEI, and I have not bought the MSD yet. I'm pretty sure the crane unit is a hall effect trigger. Thanks.

pitts64
03-29-2008, 05:46 AM
I know the points work well with the MSD6AL and will last forever switching such a light power load. And with the MSD no annual dwell adjustment is needed.
Actually a points system works well by itself. I never fell for all this hype against points systems. Points even have the advantage of slightly retarding at high rpm!
I know my stock Delco distributer is a very well made unit, advance spring changes are a snap.

MonzaRacer
03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Actually the points still need to be adjusted annually as the wear block does wear, why not just up grade to one of the points repalcement kits from a reputable manufacturer and do away with them. I also dont like thefact that points do float at high rpm.
A few people even adapt in the ford style reluctor and pick up and its the same a a MSD unit but in small cap body, also one of the companies will mod your stock dist to use a HEI type modue but then you can simply swap out the HEI mod for a MSd box.

another69
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks, guys, but in the meantime I went ahead and bought a digital 6 MSD box and hooked it up. I haven't fired it up yet, though- we'll see! By the way, when I asked Crane the same question their answer was yes or no depending on who I spoke with(?). The distributor worked fine alone, but I noticed NO difference from points.

MonzaRacer
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
under 6k probalby never hurt, beat it hard and weak points will bounce, the box only aleveiates the burning situations.