PDA

View Full Version : Gbar and exhaust compatibility

Dr.Corvette
03-11-2008, 06:25 PM
My 67 Firebird has a Pypes crossflow muffler system. Will this work with a Gbar? If not who makes a compatible exhaust?

ProdigyCustoms
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
We sell and install a lot of G Bars. No the cross flow will not work and no one makes a out of the box tailpipe kit that fits a G Bar set up. Stainless works has "wheel barrow handle tailpipes" only in 2 1/2" that go under the rear, but are not to attractive by their own admission. You will have to get a shop to bend up tailpipes or weld up mandrel bends. However, you can get up to 3" exhaust through. As for ready made tailpipes, I doubt anyone can do them in mandrel bend due to turn radius. Notching the corners of the fuel tank will help a bunch snaking tailpipes through.

darren@ridetech
03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Rick's just built us a tank for the back of our 68 with the corners already notched.

ProdigyCustoms
03-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Darren, are you going over the axle on this one? The Rick's tank is the one we sell, works killer.

bret
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Darren, are you going over the axle on this one? The Rick's tank is the one we sell, works killer.

On Sharon's 67 Camaro [and her replacement 68] we went under the rear axle. I know this sounds hokey in theory, but in reality the rearend sits so far up in the car with the AirBar that it is a straight shot from the mufflers, then under the rearend and then up around the gas tank. A tank with mitered corners is nearly a must if you are using the DSE minitubs. With stock tubs the stock tank works fine.

whytry
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Got any pics of that Bret? I am looking at the Airbar, and I really don't want turn downs, and I want the car low when aired out.

jb@ridetech
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Got any pics of that Bret? I am looking at the Airbar, and I really don't want turn downs, and I want the car low when aired out.

here are a few from the (old camaro) we dont have the exhaust done on the orange one.

nicks67camaro
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I also went under the axle. I did a one exhause that doesn't use a gasket It drops our as one piece from the collector back. Its a 3 inch round x and then to a 3 inch oval and 3 inch oval tail pipes. I have tons of clearance compared to the 3 inch flowmasters I had. I want to change out the x to an oval when I got more cash. all spintech stuff really nice.

whytry
03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Bret. I am currently running the Flowmaster tailpipe kit on my leaf springs setup, but I was hoping to be able to keep tailpipes when I go to Airbar. Those pics help make the decision a lot easier!!

dhutton
03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
here are a few from the (old camaro) we dont have the exhaust done on the orange one.

What clearance do you have between the axle and the pipes where you go under? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

Thanks,
Don

whytry
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
When it was airred all the way out did the exhaust hit the floorboards? Do you have any old pics of it airred out? I used to have some saved on my computer but I can't find them

ProdigyCustoms
03-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Don, BTW, Stainless Works goes under the rear and only in 2 1/2"

darren@ridetech
03-17-2008, 07:25 AM
When it was airred all the way out did the exhaust hit the floorboards? Do you have any old pics of it airred out? I used to have some saved on my computer but I can't find them

The exhaust doesn't move with the suspension. Here is an image of the car deflated.
http://www.ridetech.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=20

As soon as we get the exhaust done, I'll post up some pics.

Now, when we did the exhaust on our 70 Nova we ran it over the axle. I think that it was 2 1/2 tho. The AirBar is virtually identical compared to the Camaro.

darren@ridetech
03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
What clearance do you have between the axle and the pipes where you go under? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

Thanks,
Don

I don't have any good pics, but with the suspension fully extended it was pretty close. I would go look, but the car was stolen last year so I can't.