PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drag Shock Question for Nova

jumpmanmb87
03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
On my 74 nova I have the competition engineering front adjustable drag shocks set on 90/10 and they work great for getting the front end up, now im looking into gettin the rears this year? Is it worth getting them or do i just stick with the monroe gas shocks I have now? lemme know has anyone dealt with rears before?

springman
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
If you have a stock suspension, take a look at the Hal/QA1 adjustable shocks. They are a bolt in replacement and are 12 position adjustable which work great for changing track conditions. I ran them on my car for years. Well worth the money IMO.

Todd

BillyShope
03-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Depends on what the rear of the car is doing on launch. If the rear is not squatting or rising drastically (which is usually the case), changes in springs and shocks make little difference. Obviously, if the rear axle assembly doesn't move relative to the rest of the car, the rear springs and shocks are just going along for the ride.

The front of the car always rises, however, and it is here that a lot can be done to equalize the loading of the rear tires. Specifically, the use of adjustable coilovers with a higher rate spring at the RF than the LF offers the possibility of minimizing the effect of driveshaft torque on rear wheel loading. Of course, the front swaybar should be disconnected or removed.

The effects of suspension changes should be measured with the traction dyno.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

70LS1NOVA
03-10-2008, 05:18 AM
jumpman, I use the competition engineering drag shocks on the front and rear of my nova when at the track. One weekend, i got lazy and didn't feel like changing them and I was curious if they actually made a difference. Normal 60' times with the comp drag shocks in the back were 1.62 consistently, with the bilsteins on the back, the 60' times dropped to 1.67 consistently. Your monroe's are surely better on the road, but at the track, the comp drags will allow your rear end to squat just like it allows your front end to come up easier and transfer all that horsepower to the rear.