PDA

View Full Version : 66 A-body When to replace original steering parts? What brand to get?

gearheads78
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I am in a unique situation in that my 66 is an all original unmolested car with 67K original miles. I have yet to get under the car and check each joint but the car drives great and feels tight.

I will replace anything that need to be replaced when I put my Lee Box, SC&C stage II kit in the car. I don't want to throw out good original GM parts and end up with aftermarket junk. After a little research very few companies even offer a drag link for my 66.

If I do replace parts what's the best brand of stuff should I use?

6'9"Witha69
03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Moog.

indyjps
03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
even thought the mileage is low, those parts are over 40 years old so anything that has rubber will be in poor condition for performance handling. ball joints should be replaced, probably tie rods. You state its a resto/mod, was all of the suspension replaced when it was restored.
I also suggest Moog.

gearheads78
03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Its really the drag link,idler, and tie rods I am asking about. The rest is getting replaced with the sc&c stage II and tall ball joints. The car is unrestored. Its an all original survivor.