PDA

View Full Version : Driving the oil pump after you convert to distributorless ignition

aggressive male
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I think I want to get a ecm of some sort. Maybe the commander 950. I don't think they make a stub for a cadillac engine. What can I do so I don't have to have a distributor that does nothing sticking out of the block? I saw in one of smokey yunicks books he uses a belt driven oil pump. Is this likely to free up power or am I better off trying to shorten a cadillac distributor?

GetMore
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Which engine is it?
Sometimes there is a unit in use on a newer version that can be used.

aggressive male
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Which engine is it?
Sometimes there is a unit in use on a newer version that can be used.I want to do it to 2 engines. an olds 307 and a cadillac 425.

Ollie8974
07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I think I want to get a ecm of some sort. Maybe the commander 950. I don't think they make a stub for a cadillac engine. What can I do so I don't have to have a distributor that does nothing sticking out of the block? I saw in one of smokey yunicks books he uses a belt driven oil pump. Is this likely to free up power or am I better off trying to shorten a cadillac distributor?

Summit only lists oil pump drives for Chevy and Ford, search key words, hole plug and dual sync

Yes you can modify a stock distributor to us as a oil pump drive when converting to EDIS ignition.
The attached photos are self explanitory.

Ollie8974
07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Some more photos.
I used a computor controled distrbutor form a 1981 301 pontiac. that did not have the mechanical advance. I knocked off the rotor arm and the reluctor wheel.
If you use a distributor with the mechanical advance, drill the shaft and mechanical advance for a rool pin like the drive gear.
The cap is from 1.50" id by 1.75" od with a solid plug of the top. the top is heald in place with a 10-32 screw.
Cut the distributor cap flange to provide a snug fit for the top.

Olav
07-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Anyone used the stub shaft from a LT1 engine in a "old" Chevy SB

Olav

Ollie8974
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I dont know, I am not a Chevy man. How ever Summit Racing lists Dual Sync Distributors for Chevy and Ford. Search Keywords dual sync nad hole plug.

Olav
07-04-2008, 09:27 PM
The stub shaft in the LT1 engine is fixed by one bolt on the top of the lifter valley. This detail is not on the "old" SB but should be easy to make some kind of fixture to the block/ stubshaft.

Ollie8974
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
The stub shaft in the LT1 engine is fixed by one bolt on the top of the lifter valley. This detail is not on the "old" SB but should be easy to make some kind of fixture to the block/ stubshaft.

Not everyone is running a Chevy or Ford engine. If you read Aggressive Male's post #3 he is asking about a 307 Olds and a 425 Cadillac I am running a 455 Pontiac. this is what I did to drive the oil pump when using EDIS. With EDIS a cam sync is not needed.