PDA

View Full Version : Do you need relays for HID lights?

yody
01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I am getting ready to do some more wiring, and haven't aquired my HID lights yet, but am wondering if they need Relays like H4 and regular lights? I would think yes? thanks!

dennis68
01-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Yodi, HID's pull SERIOUS amperage. When you get your kit it will actually have voltage warning lables on the step up modules. I wouldn't tie up that wiring just yet, wait until the kit shows and then wire accordingly. Most OE's use 3 relays for the HID's, 1 for each low beam and 1 for the high beams (high beams are not HID).

MrQuick
01-25-2005, 11:54 PM
wow no bickering...im so proud. HID's also use a ballast and the relays NEED to match the output needed. Becareful I heard of a guy zappin his pecker working on one leaning against his bumper... ok who put x in Den's latte????

elcamino80
01-26-2005, 12:28 AM
I would also wait until I get the kit before finishing the wiring.

Dennis, why wouldn't the high beam be HID?? I thought it just moves the HID "bulb" more into the casing when you turn on highbeam...

dennis68
01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
I don't know about the "kits" in the aftremarket world, my experience is limited to OE lighting. Most OE manufacterers don't use HID's for the high beams. It's a seperate bulb.

HID's suck anyway, what a waste of money, get a life.......how's that Vince. :seizure:

yody
01-26-2005, 10:27 AM
I was aware of the ballast and so forth. I will be using a stock phillips DR2/4 bulb in a hella H4 lense with a billet adapter to go from H4 to DR2. I am not sure which ballasts I am going to use yet. Probably a stock ballast, ie phillips/hella. I won't be using a high beam, i think the HID will be good enough. SO i guess i will just mount up 2 relays and worry about the wiring when i get the rest?