PDA

View Full Version : parking brake clearance problem

navyflyer72
01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
OK, I have a 67 Camaro with a Moser 12-bolt, w/ c-clip elims, a Baer tour setup for the rear and Global West dearched multi leaf springs. So I head out to the garage today to bolt it all up and I find out that the emer brake mount coming off the lower portion of each caliper interferes with the multi leaf springs. The Baer instructions say that the caliper on the drivers side should be around the 4 o'clock position when looking at it, that being said, both sides have e-brake mounts and they both interfere with the leafs. I looked on the calipers and they are stamped R-H and L-H so I know they are on the correct sides, any ideas? Thanks.
-George :scared:

apex69
01-23-2005, 09:22 AM
OK, I have a 67 Camaro with a Moser 12-bolt, w/ c-clip elims, a Baer tour setup for the rear and Global West dearched multi leaf springs. So I head out to the garage today to bolt it all up and I find out that the emer brake mount coming off the lower portion of each caliper interferes with the multi leaf springs. The Baer instructions say that the caliper on the drivers side should be around the 4 o'clock position when looking at it, that being said, both sides have e-brake mounts and they both interfere with the leafs. I looked on the calipers and they are stamped R-H and L-H so I know they are on the correct sides, any ideas? Thanks.
-George :scared:

That being said, from the instructions you didn't mention if mounted, the caliper is at 4 o'clock on the driver side. I'll assume yes and, that the mounting brackets are on correctly that is, are the brackets RH, LH?

Where is the interference, above or below the spring, touching the outside edge of the spring, with a slight interference to either of those areas?

navyflyer72
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Good questions. The caliper brackets are not labeled for either side and when I asked Baer on the phone they said they can go on either side. The interference occurs when you try and place the leafs into the perch on the outside lower portion of the leaf, such that you cannot get the leaf spring into the perch. I then tried to remove the caliper, install the leafs and then reinstall the caliper, but then the parking brake bracket hits the leaf and you can't get the caliper reinstalled... I am beginning to think that the caliper brackets need to be positioned so that the calipers are in the "under center" position. I have a sneaky suspicion that the brackets will not allow me to position the calipers properly in the under center position (ie- the bleed port will be down) which will probably mean that the caliper brackets are in fact supposed to be for one side and they will have been bored out for the c-clip elim ends on the wrong side... I could be wrong, but I know my luck sometimes.