PDA

View Full Version : No spark - MSD Pickup Problems ?

kiwigt
12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm new here, lurked but this is my first post. I have a Roush 342cid crate engine in my Mustang. Ignition is an MSD 6AL, blaster 3 coil and MSD 8598 billet distributor. All components are new < 1000 miles.

Car was running fine until I attempted to connect a tach and stupidly attached it to the negative side of the coil. Tach wouldn't work so is now removed. The car continued to run fine that day, but wouldn't start the following morning -no spark at the plugs.

Tests - MSD 6 is running the magnetic pickup arrangement, and tests ok for spark at the MSD box by scratching a jumper wire over the connector. On cranking voltage there is 11.97 volts at the red ign switch power feed to the MSD 6 box. Coil must be ok because the MSD 6 spark test is ok ?.

I checked the magnetic pickup using an ohm meter - no reading at all. Would I be correct in thinking I've fried the magnetic pickup ?

oldcarguy
12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I had all most the same situation, with a MSD 6 Box, and coil, I was even getting a slight spark at the plugs, ended up the Coil was bad, yep it was new,put a another one on, and everything was good. Did you test just the coil ?

MrQuick
12-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Its been a while since I messed with a pick up. I usually chuck and replace now.

If I recall you will not have continuity at the leads but you will have a measurable AC voltage from it when spun.

The scratch test basicly tests the box, coil and sencondary leads. Seems all is good there if it put out a nice blue spark.

kiwigt
12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I had all most the same situation, with a MSD 6 Box, and coil, I was even getting a slight spark at the plugs, ended up the Coil was bad, yep it was new,put a another one on, and everything was good. Did you test just the coil ?

Thanks for your replies. I only tested the coil by doing the scratch test - I presume if that test is satisfactory (which it is) the coil is ok ?

David Pozzi
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Ohms should be no lower than 400, no higher than 1300.
Here is the link: http://www.msdignition.com/1troubleshoot.htm

Also verify that your rotor is actually turning. The gear may be stripped! But if your Ohm's reading is out of spec, that's probably it.
David

kiwigt
12-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys. It was the magnetic pickup. Zero ohms reading. I replaced it and the car fired right up.