PDA

View Full Version : How much abuse can a 10 bolt handle?

IceHouse
01-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Trying to decide what direction to go with the rear axle in my 68 camaro. I would like to keep the stock 10 bolt or maybe upgrade to a 10 bolt with the larger diameter ring gear, so that I could keep my cost down. My goal is 500 hp and 500 tq in a street car with 315 tires. Maybe I should start looking for a Ford 9" and forget about the 10 bolt, but I have heard the 10 bolt can be made to handle lots of abuse. Looking for advice from people who have tried to make a 10 bolt handle this kind of power. Thanks.

Einstein1
01-16-2005, 09:49 AM
The 10 bolt 8.5 can handle just about as much hp as the ford 9 inch. It just depends on your axles gears and posi. You can get a 10 bolt 8.5 out of a wrecking yard for 50.00 dollars then you need axles 200 gears 200 posi 250 650 dollars total plus the 50 dollars for a total investment of 700 dollars. I bought a currie alum center section rearend like the one on the thrasher for 1249 not including the gears center section or posi. So 2000 dollars vs 700 I would have gone the 10 bolt 8.5 The main benefit of the ford 9 inch is easy gear swap and easy change out. Thats about it. Sure they handle more hp but unless your pulling 8-900 hp and running slicks you should be fine just get some good axles.

IceHouse
01-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Sweet, that is what I was hoping to hear. What donor vehicles should I look for at the junk yard? Thanks for the info.

Zefhix
01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Sweet, that is what I was hoping to hear. What donor vehicles should I look for at the junk yard? Thanks for the info.

Words of wisdom from Mr. Smith- :)
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48518/

indyjps
01-16-2005, 06:21 PM
launched 11 sec 70 camaro on 8.5, in the 10's on low nitrous hits. 8.5" with moser axles, spool, rear brace. your 500 hp without hooking hard should be fine if rear is prepped with good parts. a 9" from a mustang or cougar (several others) will bolt in but has small bearings and generally 28 spline axles so youre buying axles anyway. the 9" i built for my 69 camaro is from a truck, fully welded, and has mid 70's oldsmobile axles and housing ends, the bearing is larger than the big ford, and the axles are larger than ford and have a consistent taper, not the step down like ford axles. resplined to work with ford center section and heat treated. ran 3 years on the strip no trouble. budget built, we'll see how long until it pops.

Kenova
01-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Here's something I ran into while replacing a rear end in my full size van.
In 1989 Gm bumped the axle spline count up to 30 (up from 28). Assuming that GM made the same change in all their 10 bolts, you may find that a 2WD rear from an S10 may fit. Just make sure you don't get stuck with one of the 7 inchers.
Ken

67firebird467
01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Any 2nd gen camaro or firebird would provide a good donor.

OHCbird
02-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a stout 8.5 for sale if interested. It'll drop right in.

Duesey
02-25-2005, 04:51 AM
How about the 8.2 10 bolt that came in the cars? With new axle shafts can they withstand alot of abuse? How are you guys modifying the top of the axles on the 8.6 rear ends to hold the upper radius rods? Btw, all s-10's except the zr2 package have the 7.6 rear ends that are also in the fbody cars.

zman1969
02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
How about the 8.2 10 bolt that came in the cars? With new axle shafts can they withstand alot of abuse? How are you guys modifying the top of the axles on the 8.6 rear ends to hold the upper radius rods? Btw, all s-10's except the zr2 package have the 7.6 rear ends that are also in the fbody cars.

dont bother with 8.2" its pinion diameter makes it too weak. go with a nova 72-78 8.5" rear for firstgen its a bolt in other than driveshaft shortening, you can upgrade to 30 spline 12 bolt axles if you want. the only people I have seen destroy these had big blocks and 150+ of nitrous and slicks :firefire:

Zefhix
02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
dont bother with 8.2" its pinion diameter makes it too weak. go with a nova 72-78 8.5" rear for firstgen its a bolt in other than driveshaft shortening, you can upgrade to 30 spline 12 bolt axles if you want. the only people I have seen destroy these had big blocks and 150+ of nitrous and slicks :firefire:

This is true, the pinion diameter is the week link in the 8.2 10blt but don't throw it away. It can take up to about 400-450 with drag radials so if you're not making more than that don't bother with a new rear. Just replace the axles with some stong ones and don't dump your clutch at 5000rpms with slicks.

Duesey
02-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Is there a distinctive visual difference on the nova 8.5 vs. the stock 8.2 in a 72' chevelle. I have a friend that is rodding an old truck and he just happens to have a parts nova he used for the front end. I also have a 8.6 lying around from a 93' truck but I would have to fab control arm mounts which is no big deal except the top ones since the truck rear end doesn't have the tabs in them. I was thinking about four new control arms mounts and running a pan hard bar. The worst part about it is I work for Eaton and I can't even get a 8.2 limited slip. It's not their bread and butter so aftermarket always comes last it seems.

Zefhix
03-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Eaton used to make 8.2" posi and I can still get my hot little hands on a few new units. I've found the 3 series carriers for the 8.2 are easy to find but the 2 series is practically non-existant. I'll get you the part numbers to check for at your work

The 8.2 has a good vertical slit on the cover to clear teh ring gear and the 8.5 will always have "triangles" on the bottom of the rear where the actual housing meets the reinforcing braces for the axle tubes. If you're not sure whether they're there or not....they're not. They stick out from the circular shape of the housing like a sore thumb.

Is there a distinctive visual difference on the nova 8.5 vs. the stock 8.2 in a 72' chevelle. I have a friend that is rodding an old truck and he just happens to have a parts nova he used for the front end. I also have a 8.6 lying around from a 93' truck but I would have to fab control arm mounts which is no big deal except the top ones since the truck rear end doesn't have the tabs in them. I was thinking about four new control arms mounts and running a pan hard bar. The worst part about it is I work for Eaton and I can't even get a 8.2 limited slip. It's not their bread and butter so aftermarket always comes last it seems.

Duesey
03-03-2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks, Zehfix that was the info I was looking for. I have all the latest part #'s of the limited slips that we make. It's just a matter of moving the works to mexico and it's a low priority so housings are currently non existent. I have the gears and remaining parts in my desk but I can't seem to be able to get a housing. In my opinion I wouldn't buy one because they moved the works to mexico. Hundreds of people in our local town are out of a job because of the move. We can thank the union for half of it and the company for the rest. Thanks again for the help!

Zefhix
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Zehfix that was the info I was looking for. I have all the latest part #'s of the limited slips that we make. It's just a matter of moving the works to mexico and it's a low priority so housings are currently non existent. I have the gears and remaining parts in my desk but I can't seem to be able to get a housing. In my opinion I wouldn't buy one because they moved the works to mexico. Hundreds of people in our local town are out of a job because of the move. We can thank the union for half of it and the company for the rest. Thanks again for the help!

Whoa..wait. Eaton is now assembling their units in mexico? Well that's just f*&cking great.......aren't gm cast blocks already done their as well?

Duesey
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Yup, as of last summer they moved the assembly and a lot of the machining to our neighbors in the south. I think they forgot to tell all of the die hard hot rodders that one. It's a shame too because they already were at a profit but now that they are paying 2 bucks a day or whatever it is they are making a killing. Someday their isn't gonna be anyone left that can afford these big company products and you know the workers in mexico aren't getting paid enough to buy. Gutting out america one company at a time and they don't have alot of choice if they want to remain competitive.