PDA

View Full Version : Camaro or corvette ls1 engine

Einstein1
01-15-2005, 07:10 PM
I am thinking of putting a ls1 engine in my camaro or a el camino I am contemplating on purchasing. I have heard that the corvette ls1 is way easier to install because of the accessory brackets is this correct?

Also are ls1 engines all alumunium or is the block cast iron?

thanks for your time

matt

Ralph LoGrasso
01-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey Matt,

LS1s (5.7L) are all aluminum. (The 6L truck engine (LQ9?) is an iron block).

I've heard the same with the corvette accessories, but I'm not really sure, hopefully someone else will know for certain. If you come across a nicely priced LS1 out of a F-body, you could always swap to the vette accessory setup.

Payton King
01-17-2005, 06:00 AM
I think that you will have problems with the vette's oil pan. If you have a 1st gen camaro the drag link will hit( the wings) and with the el I do not think it will leave you enough room to run anything other than the stock exhaust manifolds...headers will be very tight. The a/c is located in the same place on both motors so you will have to move it. On a first gen car you can get away with the F car acc drive with the A/C moved to a different location. On the el if it is a front steer car I think the alternator will hit. The vette stuff would clear. Make it easier on yourself and call Street and Performance and get one of there acc drives for the LS1. Give me more info and I can tell you a little more specifics.

Einstein1
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
my 1982 el camino has factory ac and it is front steer my 67 camaro is rear steer. Here is what I was thinking 1998 corvette ls1 motor in my 67 camaro modify the oil pan get the custom motor mounts and use the stock headers or get shorty ls1 headers? What do you think?

Payton King
01-17-2005, 12:25 PM
If you go with the corvette motor you will need to get another throttle body as the one for the vette is a drive by wire and will not work on a swap. You will also need to change the pan to an F-Body pan and have street and performance notch it for you ($200) You will need to do a little work on the stock manifold on the driver's side if you want to use them. I would either get S&P's header for that application ($500 coated) or I think Stainless Works makes a long tube now for use with the stock steering box for about ($1000) The vette's stock acc drive will work, but like I said before, if you want a/c S&P has a mount to run a Sanden compressor up high on the passenger's side and still run the stock drive. Go to www.hotrodlane.cc and check out their website. Although I think is says install of a LS1 in a 69 camaro...it is actually a 68. They also show an install for a Chevelle which should be the same as your Camino.