PDA

View Full Version : LS1 or Turbo 406

touring67
01-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I know this topic has been done over and over, but I don't think this exact one has been done yet. I have been looking at the possibility of an LS1 for a while but can't get the turbo SBC setup outta my head. Why you ask don't I just turbo the LS1, I don't know. I don't like to rev the motor so damn high, like 7000 rpm I mean. I want drivability with great power, not a revvy little hp motor with no torque. I had been looking at doing something like a 540 ci bbc as well but I think I have abandoned it because of its weight, plus I love turbos and a turbo 540 would be very expensive and likely overkill.

I already have a T56 from an LS1 motor but had planned on using it with a conventional old chevy motor. Any suggestions on turbo LS1's or older SBC motors? I will be using fuel injection no matter what course I take. I don't have any experience with the LS1, while my experience with old chevy's is much more broad. The reasoning behind my 406 plan was that it was the biggest SBC and I could find a block fairly easy and add the proper components from there without having to pay for stuff I planned to swap or discard. I've read about the LS1 all over and the aftermarket is swarming all over it but I just don't know much about turboing it. Steve, you got anything to say about this???

ProdigyCustoms
01-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Biggest problem with the 406 is after 500HP, you are really on the edge. A aftermarket block is really what you will need for HP on the street. On the strip, and ocasional street driving, we get away with filling the blocks, but for a Pro Tourer, you would need a Dart, or other block, and that will cost dollars.

Cdog
01-14-2005, 09:31 PM
I know this topic has been done over and over, but I don't think this exact one has been done yet. I have been looking at the possibility of an LS1 for a while but can't get the turbo SBC setup outta my head. Why you ask don't I just turbo the LS1, I don't know. I don't like to rev the motor so damn high, like 7000 rpm I mean. I want drivability with great power, not a revvy little hp motor with no torque. I had been looking at doing something like a 540 ci bbc as well but I think I have abandoned it because of its weight, plus I love turbos and a turbo 540 would be very expensive and likely overkill.

I already have a T56 from an LS1 motor but had planned on using it with a conventional old chevy motor. Any suggestions on turbo LS1's or older SBC motors? I will be using fuel injection no matter what course I take. I don't have any experience with the LS1, while my experience with old chevy's is much more broad. The reasoning behind my 406 plan was that it was the biggest SBC and I could find a block fairly easy and add the proper components from there without having to pay for stuff I planned to swap or discard. I've read about the LS1 all over and the aftermarket is swarming all over it but I just don't know much about turboing it. Steve, you got anything to say about this???

I've been looking into the same thing. Here's my thoughts. I feel you'd be better off doing a LS1 383 with a solid aftermarket bottom end and a set of 6.0 heads or the AFR's and go with the fast intake system. If your running turbo's or a procharger you will atleast have a solid foundation. A 540 will kill your T56 in a week. I have a pretty good engine shop here in socal so if you need a shop that knows whats up pm me and I set you up with the right people to talk to. Or just get a used LS1 have some fun with it and build it up after you get your car dial'd in. I built a 540 BBC for my 29 ft Shockwave boat. It's all set for a procharger but at the time I thought it would be best to put the money in building my dream boat. The engine dyno'd at 575 HP and 600 TQ and the boat does 72 MPH. With the procharger it'll have 900 + HP. But the important part is that I can enjoy the boat now and learn how to drive the thing. Good luck.

boodlefoof
01-14-2005, 09:40 PM
If your turbos aren't huge, you can dial in your boost to peak at a lower rpm and make boat loads of torque with the LS1. I think turbo LS1 would be great for driveability and power. I don't think you'll be lacking in low-end torque if you don't go with enormous turbos. Of course... LS1 + turbos = expensive.

Matt
01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
It's really only as expensive as you make it. A guru with ls1 edit can make the tuning part doable, as for the rest it's 'just' getting the piping together, a good waste gate, a good intercooler, and a properly sized turbo. You could spool a 72mm turbo easily with an LS1, without revving it too high. Call up turbonetics or precision turbo and they will help you get your sizing down so you can have good spool and good power.

The LS1 is a great base for something like this. The heads will likely be fine for the power you'd like to make, and with the right combination you can have something that would do you well. Find a high milage ls1, get a lunati 8.5:1 kit, a high lift, low duration cam, a revkit (to up reliability and counteract the strain from the cam), and you'll be good to go. I'd also think this route would be a good bit cheaper than building something from the ground up.

touring67
01-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the help, I think it would be a better IDEA to do the turbo LS1 since it's lighter and already setup to take fuel injection and lotsa other goodies as well. However, I am not familiar with its limits, tuning them or how well they would fit in my first gen. I don't know what needs to be modified other than the usual rotating assembly etc. I think that a turbo LS1 is the probably the best route for the long run, driveability and weight issues. I guess it wouldn't matter much if I didn't build it myself but I would like to know what the shop is doing and what to tell them to do. I've been late getting into the LSX scene despite thinking that it is the best production motor that any domestic manufacturer has made in years if ever. I'm looking for great average hp and torque numbers not huge peak numbers since the average numbers will be what drives the car, unlike peak which impresses the majority of people. I'm sure it is possible to get a good torque/hp combo with a proper turbo in the midrange that impresses the pants not the car show crowd.

I also prefer to err on the side of overkill so I might like to do a bulletproof setup that even I can't demolish. I don't know if cost is a really big issue for me if its fairly negligible. Because I would be wading into a field I don't have any experience in I'd likely be posting here quite frequently compared to if I was doing a conventional SBC which seems like a very simple and easy route for me to follow and I would know what I was doing. This would be the basic reason behind me doing a SBC and that I know it should be very easy to adapt. I think I'm starting to ramble so I'll just head out for now.

Matt
01-15-2005, 02:49 PM
I know what you are saying, familiar is nice, but if you think about it, the ls1 is still just a pushrod motor right.

Ls1tech.com can help you figure out how to do things more than I, go over there, admit that you are an old school chevy guy and want to get an idea about how to reach your goals and have room to spare in terms of durability. They will set you straight and point you in all the right directions.

There are countless threads about what's needed to put an ls1 in a 1g here, and from what I've seen, and what friends that have done say, it's really not bad.

Good luck on your project man, keep us posted.

-Matt

touring67
01-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys, the more I think about it the more it seems right to do the LS1 thing. It's been done before no doubt but like I have said before I'd rather do what is better for the performance and driveability than try to impress with a huge BBC that just 'looks' fast. And also the more I think about it the less daunting it seems, you are right Matt it is 'just' a pushrod motor not an exotic flat 6 or DOHC mod motor. I'll check out Ls1tech.com and be sure to keep you guys posted.

indyjps
01-16-2005, 06:12 PM
dont know if the factory 400 cyl walls would hold up to much boost. im piecing together a 434 sbc now but it will be mild (500 hp), low compression, decent cam and carb. i have suspension and paint to contend with and the carb motor will get me on the road.

01-16-2005, 07:25 PM
My daily driver is a 6.0l gen 3 with a 67mm garrett turbocharger. I drove it 18,000 miles last year. It is a very durable engine with good everyday drivability and durability.

Kurt

touring67
01-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey, 427 are you using a stroked 5.7 or are you using the 6.0 liter truck iron block? I was just wondering if you opted to use the bigger iron block for power and durability. I have heard though that the aluminum blocks do stand up to some good abuse so I was thinking of using one of those for the weight savings. Thanks

And also, even if the 400 had durability issues with the thinner walls I could use a 350 that I already have, only thing is its setup for about 10.6-1 CR and I'd have to swap out the crank for a stronger unit and swap the pistons for dished units. Then it would be able to handle the power I believe. That is another option but I like the LS1 idea I think.

01-17-2005, 05:11 AM
I use the 6.0 truck block. It is in my truck. We changed the pistons and rods to forged parts. Also used inconel ex valves and camshaft ground for turbo. The alum block is very strong, but the iron is a little better for holding head gaskets. If your target powerlevel is below 1,000 hp at the crank, you will do well with iron or alum.

Kurt
Hey, 427 are you using a stroked 5.7 or are you using the 6.0 liter truck iron block? I was just wondering if you opted to use the bigger iron block for power and durability. I have heard though that the aluminum blocks do stand up to some good abuse so I was thinking of using one of those for the weight savings. Thanks

And also, even if the 400 had durability issues with the thinner walls I could use a 350 that I already have, only thing is its setup for about 10.6-1 CR and I'd have to swap out the crank for a stronger unit and swap the pistons for dished units. Then it would be able to handle the power I believe. That is another option but I like the LS1 idea I think.

touring67
01-17-2005, 06:17 PM
It looks like ebay has some pretty good deals on LS1's and I even saw an LS2 block for sale. Lots of the LS1's are going for up to 6 basically new with everything down to just around 3k (EDIT: I have been finding complete LS1's for around 2500 which is reasonable) I think for less than 100k miles and with everything as well. I'll check into LS1tech.com or something to get some ideas on what I should keep and what I should modify. The heads are good but the AFR's, although expensive, are better. The block is a block..except earlier ones that couldn't be bored at all...needed to be resleeved I believe. The other components would either have to be modified or upgraded to handle more power and boost. Thanks for pointing me in the 'right' direction guys, even if it will hurt my wallet more! I think this is a better route for a PT car anyway.

my69rocks
01-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Try some contacts around town possibly when trying to locate an LS1. I found one right in my town from a 2000 Camaro SS with 5k on it that he has had for a couple years sitting in his garage. Paid 3k for LS1 & 4L60E. Of course I trusted the source of information. Good luck! :bananna2:

touring67
01-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, tried a few places around town and so far they want to sell the complete motor with tranny (which I already have) for either 7500 for the A4 and 8500 for the M6...wow what a steal!! ...or not. So I was gonna check out some contacts I had but another guy trying to deal on my backup LS1 prompted me to buy before it got sold. I just picked up an Ls1 shortblock for 500. The insanity has begun! So now I shouldn't have to find a conversion method to match my T56 to an old school SBC and I get the benefits of the LS1 which are plenty....the only downside I can see right now is the Coin required to build one, which is coming down quickly with all the new parts coming out.

touring67
01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Ok, things changed, I opted for the LS2 block instead of the LS1. Bigger, better and new!

Sinco
02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm starting a protouring 66 Nova and will be going with an LS1 twin turbo. I will start with a forged 346 with the proper cam and heads. My fabricator will do the manifolds and intercooler. I am going to use aftermarket fuel injection, Haltech.

I have 427 TT corvette and it has great drivability and a ton of power.
The LS1 is a good way to go and make excellent reliable power.