PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disk for 77 Trans-am

77ta
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I am trying to fit rear disk brakes on my car . I want to keep my factory 15x8 snowflake wheels and would like to buy the Baer touring or the Rod and Drag system for it. The touring seems to be a bit to big with its 12" rotor but they do offer a kit. The Rod and drag will fit but they do not show a kit and the help line was not much help other than to tell me its not shown in the catalog so there must be a problem fitting it to this car due to possible problems with shock locations or something like that. Does any one know what will fit ? The template shows the touring kit just slightly rubbing the inside of the wheels. I was wanting to go with a more modern system and not use the crappy stock type calipers that everyone says suck.

Thanks !!

WS6
01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
just get a 79-81 rear disc brake rearend. sometimes you can find complete rearends with the brakes on ebay and at junkyards. the factory rear brakes dont suck. besides you need way more braking force on the front, not the rear. SSBC makes a four piston caliper thatll work with the factory rotor and wheels for the front

if im not mistaken the rear brakes are actually b body front brakes. i know they are front brakes adapted to work on the rear, just not sure if they are b body or not.

and dont forget to make sure you have good tires. if you can lock up with the brakes the way they are now, you need better tires to stop faster.

OHCbird
01-11-2005, 09:06 PM
77-

pls email me as I have a complete setup ready to go for ya (GM stuff). New calipers, rotors, etc... shot me an email and I'll send ya some pics. It was just about to go on Ebay.

Jeff
hartjeffATcomcast.net (change the AT to @ )

Tom Welch
01-12-2005, 07:13 PM
parts for the GM setup are still available thru NAPA

OHCbird
01-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Tom-
Exactly; The only parts you need are the backing plates (there are a few guys who make new units), and the parking brake 'stuff'.