PDA

View Full Version : holley street avenger 770 cfm

s4dustin
09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
68 camaro
30 over
cam
intake

thoughts? I had a edelbrock 600 cfm, but I think it was holding back a bit...

6'9"Witha69
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
What cam and intake? Mild to wild makes a HUGE difference!!

s4dustin
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
bought it the way it sits, the intake is a circle track intake, direct port,
cam i have no idea
but it goes
"thumpity thump.....thumpity thump"

6'9"Witha69
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
cam i have no idea
but it goes
"thumpity thump.....thumpity thump"
:smoke:

:pat:

:candle:

How comfortable are you with pulling the timing gear to get the stamp off the front of the cam? That or can you get in touch with the guy you bought it from?

s4dustin
09-25-2007, 01:47 PM
i am going to change the cam in a month or 2. Have a pal who used to race camaros.....he is going to help out. That is where i got the manifold from. Any suggestion?

6'9"Witha69
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
What cam will you be using? Oh, and I forgot to ask about heads.

s4dustin
09-26-2007, 08:30 AM
I will go with AFRs in a few months. the problem is that i have no idea what has been done to the engine/heads. But, the car moves pretty good.

s4dustin
09-27-2007, 03:27 PM
so i put the carb on and the car is running like [email protected] to dial it in....never done it before. any suggestions?

ZZ4Blazer
09-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Knowing your combo is a huge plus. Things have to be all matched, or its never gonna perform, or even be efficient at making power.

Also, what is it doing? Theres plenty of easy stuff you can do to a holley carb for tuning, just simply by paying attention to how it runs.

sporter
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Define running like crap? Bog off idle? Bog under acceleration? Eye watering idle? High idle? Popping?

Use your vacuum level at idle to select the correct power valve. Your squirters, primary jets and air bleeds can all be adjusted after you ensure the power valve is not opening too soon, your fuel pressure is below 7 psi and your initial is between 12-16. Are you running vacuum advance? Ported or manifold?

My 870 Avenger was pretty close out of the box on my 500+ hp 455 but way too rich for my son's stock 350. Just takes tuning. :cheers:

s4dustin
09-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Define running like crap? Bog off idle? Bog under acceleration? Eye watering idle? High idle? Popping?

Use your vacuum level at idle to select the correct power valve. Your squirters, primary jets and air bleeds can all be adjusted after you ensure the power valve is not opening too soon, your fuel pressure is below 7 psi and your initial is between 12-16. Are you running vacuum advance? Ported or manifold?

My 870 Avenger was pretty close out of the box on my 500+ hp 455 but way too rich for my son's stock 350. Just takes tuning. :cheers:

bogging under acceleration, badly. However i think my vaccum advance is not working properly. Does that make a big difference?

ZZ4Blazer
09-29-2007, 02:25 PM
If your bogging under wide open throttle, then no. There is no vacuum from the motor at WOT. The motor only see's the mechanical advance from the distributor.

Does it do it right when you smash the throttle, then clear up after a second or so? Or will it do it the entire time you've got the pedal down?

s4dustin
09-30-2007, 05:00 AM
right when i put it down to the floor. it bogs for 3 seconds and then goes.

s4dustin
10-06-2007, 08:32 AM
so the car would start, then run like crap, missing and no power. Now, it wouldnt start....waited a couple of days, pulled out the plugs and they were FILLED with gas....and I mean filled!

any suggestions?

My427stang
10-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Well sounds like you may have a couple of problems

Is it a new carb or used? I am guessing used

You could have a stuck needle and seat which would make it flood. You could also have a bad power valve which could make it run rich

However, the bog is probably an accelerator pump problem. When they sit the diaphragms can get dry and or the little umbrella above the pump can stick, etc.

I would probably take the carb off and rebuild it with a fresh Holley kit and set it up to stock specs. However, if you have never done a Holley and dont know what to look for, I would find someone very knowledgeable and watch them, or have them do it.

Not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but a guy who really knows how to set up a Holley will quickly see what is causing the problem during the rebuild

ZZ4Blazer
10-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the float is stuck, and gas is just pouring into the motor.

Before you run it again CHANGE THE OIL!!!!!!!!!!

s4dustin
10-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but a guy who really knows how to set up a Holley will quickly see what is causing the problem during the rebuild[/quote]

you are correct, took it to my friend who did a lot of racing and he jetted it down, played with it a bit and it fired right up..... puuurrfect. Thanks guys for the suggestion...

D