PDA

View Full Version : Reluctor Alignment - MSD Pro-Billet

TheMonkey
09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
when setting up distributor for first firing, i rotated crank to my desired timing (12* BTDC), and would like to set up MSD pro-billet as close to spark signal as possible.

does it spark when reluctor is lined up with pickup, or just after it passes?

thx.

TheMonkey
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
i talked to MSD tech. the signal from the sensor the distributor sends negative voltage when reluctor is not in front of sensor, and sends positive voltage when reluctor is in front of sensor. the spark signal occurs at the zero voltage point from negative to positive, and the reluctor alignment with sensor at that spark point is when the reluctor's leading edge is just in front of the sensor.

My427stang
10-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Cool stuff Monkey, thanks for following up, I wondered that myself

TheMonkey
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
no problem. i think i got too caught up in the details though. at the dyno on Wed, it coughed a ball of flame on start up, and dyno guy said that is from being a bit too retarded. he suggested it is better to err on the advanced side for initial fire up until it is idling, especially if you are not running a vacuum advance. just be careful with advance after it is fired up and you are ready to apply a load. turns out my motor likes a bit more advance than i thought it would. i always seem to over-analyze. :geek:

My427stang
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
True statement, advance is better at fire up within reason, ceramic coated headers will thank you too :)

They'll glow RED F-IN hot before you notice it if the timing is late enough to backfire