PDA

View Full Version : Broken pushrod/lifter - how deep do I have to dig?

toddshotrods
01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Can I get away with just replacing the broken pushrod and lifter? This is from the Pontiac 350 in my Camaro. The engine has no noises inside (poked it all over with a stethoscope). I pulled the valve cover because this cylinder (8) would not fire and the plug looked like new, plug wire is good, etc.

The pushrod and lifter are from the intake side. I saw the missing pushrod, and pulled the intake and valley pan. The pushrod and the guts of the lifter were just laying in there. I assume the broken piece fell in the oil pan without damaging anything since I can find no visible damage, and there is no noise when the motor is running.

Final note: This is a freebie smog motor, not something I have a ton of money in, or I wouldn't even consider not tearing it all the way down.

Matt@RFR
01-07-2005, 01:47 PM
For a freebie smog motor, I'd put a new lifter and pushrod in it and see what happens. Just keep an eye on the oil for any sparkles.

toddshotrods
01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
That's kind of how I feel, but figured I'd see what others would do in my shoes. It's a freebie smogger but it did run pretty good and will probably get me through this season with some reasonable care.

Zefhix
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
That's kind of how I feel, but figured I'd see what others would do in my shoes. It's a freebie smogger but it did run pretty good and will probably get me through this season with some reasonable care.

Agreed. Put the new stuff in and be careful. You should tear it all apart and rebuild it but what's the fun in that? :)

toddshotrods
01-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys. Typical of me, I thought maybe I should put all new lifters and pushrods in. Hmmm, let's see how much they would be from Summit... Hey, I could get the Summit cam and lifters for cheap and only thirty bucks for a set of pushrods. Sure would be nice to put an aluminum intake on while I'm at it...

You know how that goes! I need to find a pushrod and lifter and a couple gaskets and button this thing back up before my wallet starts losing weight :hammer: