PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripper

Little Bob
01-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Can someone recommend a paint stripper. I'm trying to remove the original paint. I've tried the strongest stuff that Home Depote had, and it had very little affect on the paint.

:help!:

Poopy
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I used aircraft stripper from an autobody supply store, worked damn good even though it was a lot colder than they recommend. I took off a layer of black spray paint, factory paint, and had trouble with the factory red primer, but it melted the black primer that was on some of the aftermarket panels my car had aquired over the years. It had to sit for about 30mins and it came off with just a putty knife. I'll get the brand tomorrow.

TRILOGYZ28
01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Can someone recommend a paint stripper. I'm trying to remove the original paint. I've tried the strongest stuff that Home Depote had, and it had very little affect on the paint.

:help!:

go to Advance Auto !
they have 2 different aerosol aircraft strippers, one in a white aerosol can and one in a black aerosol can.....get the one in the "black" can, i have used that stuff to remove powdercoat believe it or not ! :naughty:

Davezz28
01-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Another thing that helps when using paint stripper is to scuff the paint first. Use some 40-80 grit paper and scuff the paint, this breaks the surface and lets the stripper get under the paint and helps lift it.

ProdigyCustoms
01-03-2005, 02:30 AM
I use aircraft stripper in the blue can, I like the aeresol cans or spray it through a junk gun. I buy it wholesale through my paint supplier, but I have picked it up before at Super Walmart in aeresol cans.
A little trick i use. After spraying the panel, I put a sheet of plastic over the panel to help contain fumes and let it eat. It really helps! A piece of plastic under the car to catch the scum will go a long way towards saving the driveway.

CAMAROBOY69
01-03-2005, 08:45 AM
We also tried 2 different paint strippers that were supposed to go directly to bare metal. Boy was that a joke. We even bought one from the local paint store. It took off a few layers but no where near "directly to bare metal".
That is a good idea that Prodigy mentioned about the plastic on there to eat it more. If you find some really good stuff let us know.
We just gave up and ended up sanding the whole car to bare metal to save time. Then sealed it in epoxy primer. (yes grey like the rest of my vehicles) :lmao:

derekf
01-03-2005, 08:54 AM
High-powered heat guns are supposed to work pretty well on removing paint as well, but I have no first hand experience to back that up.

With the liquids, the plastic really did seem to be the key - the plastic keeps the air from drying the stripper out. It also seemed that I got better results if I really 'gooped' the stripper on. I believe the instructions say to only brush in one direction when applying as well.

Little Bob
01-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm going to try the aircraft stripper from Advanced Auto. I'm also going to try the plastic thing with it. I would sand it, but I'm so afraid of adding heat to the panel and damaging it.

Thanks again for the help.