PDA

View Full Version : A body mods

MMarty
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey all, noobie here. I am building a 71 olds cutlass for occasional road racing and am looking for the budget way to get some good handling. I have been lurking around your site for awhile and now am really confused. I plan on running 245/40-17 tires and was wanting to know what I can use for springs,shocks,etc. The car already has disc front brakes so I would like to keep that setup. I am under the impression that tubular upper control arms are a waste of money. My thoughts are I just need the proper springs(front and rear) some good shocks (bilstein) del-a-lum bushings and tubular rear control arms,and the 17 inch low profile tires.Also what is the guldstrand mod?

LateNight72
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey all, noobie here. I am building a 71 olds cutlass for occasional road racing and am looking for the budget way to get some good handling. I have been lurking around your site for awhile and now am really confused. I plan on running 245/40-17 tires and was wanting to know what I can use for springs,shocks,etc. The car already has disc front brakes so I would like to keep that setup. I am under the impression that tubular upper control arms are a waste of money. My thoughts are I just need the proper springs(front and rear) some good shocks (bilstein) del-a-lum bushings and tubular rear control arms,and the 17 inch low profile tires.Also what is the guldstrand mod?

Tubular arms in general are a waste of money. I personally would contact Marcus @ SC&C (www.scandc.com (http://www.scandc.com)) He knows what he is doing and he can hook you up with some of the best A-Body parts a GREAT prices.

Stock bilsteins aren't nessecarily that great. They need to be valved properly to the springs.

The gulstrang mod will do little to nothing for the a-bodys..

-Todd

Derek69SS
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Tubular upper A-arms are necessary only when correcting the bad front geometry with taller spindles, or extended balljoints. Tubular lowers are for strength only, and offer no performance gains aside from being stronger.

The hands-down BEST front end setup for the money is the Stage II+ package from www.scandc.com and will work with your existing brakes.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
08-13-2007, 09:14 PM
The only arms to consider and I highly recommend are SC and C. I had done all the typical mods and the car still didn't feel right. After I installed there stage 2 plus kit the only limitation now is my nerve. They are very reasonable and they are the best bang for the buck upgrade. Like Derek says the hands-down best. Call Mark at SCandC and he''l help you make the most out of what you got.