PDA

View Full Version : if you had to choose,wich would you go with

jonnyc
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
between using del-a-lum bushing everywhere and the stock 12:1 steeringbox,or poly bushings everywhere and the ats670 steering box.
the car will alo have g.w. spring and leafs,afx spindes,hotchkis sway bars.mainly looking for good ride quality,but we all want the best handling we can get.

68Formula
08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Ran out of money? Del-a-lum and stock if stuck with a choice. If the steering is a little light, and you're really tight on change, used IROC Z boxes are reasonable (same ratio, stiffer feel). The low-friction del-a-lum bushings will give you a better ride and handling.

My goal was similar to yours. I went with a Hotchkis front bar, mild springs, delrin bushings (similar to GWs del-a-lum), and solid body bushings. Even with 17s the ride is nice and where I live are plenty of potholes and railroad tracks to prove it.

BTW I don't use a rear bar (most feel you don't need it if the camber gain is corrected) so you would save a few $$$ there. I calculated my front springs at around 375 lbs/in. I bought them from NPD for about $65.

BonzoHansen
08-07-2007, 09:27 AM
What car is this for? (stock 12:1?)

Do the delalums. Changing the steering box later is easier and 12:1 isn't bad to start with.

6'9"Witha69
08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
The Lee box is 12.7:1. Your 12:1 is pretty much the same (difference in ratio is negligible). The Del-A-Lums are incredible at eliminating bind, increasing stability AND ride comfort.

While the ATS/LEE box will give you much greater on center feel and precision, it can be changed later since you seem to have a decent box to start with.

baz67
08-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Do the bushings and get them from ATS so he at least gets some sort of sale.

jonnyc
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
What car is this for? (stock 12:1?)

Do the delalums. Changing the steering box later is easier and 12:1 isn't bad to start with.

its a 69 firebird.its 2 full turns lock to lock so i think thats 12:1.right?

baz67,if i end up buying them i'll get them from ats.they are cheaper than jegs anyway.plus i like to support the smaller shops whenever possible.

David Pozzi
08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
If it's a stock 69 box, it's a variable ratio box with very poor feel.
A better box is going to feel much much better. But changing the box is pretty easy to do at a later date. I think the box is going to make the largest improvement.
David

jonnyc
08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
If it's a stock 69 box, it's a variable ratio box with very poor feel.
A better box is going to feel much much better. But changing the box is pretty easy to do at a later date. I think the box is going to make the largest improvement.
David

i'm pretty sure i remember the guy i bought the car from saying that the box came out of a third gen.
i also have a r&p out of a fourth gen.but after doing some research on it,i don't think i want to try to make that work.

chicane67
08-07-2007, 08:07 PM
The Lee box is 12.7:1. Your 12:1 is pretty much the same (difference in ratio is negligible). The Del-A-Lums are incredible at eliminating bind, increasing stability AND ride comfort.

While the ATS/LEE box will give you much greater on center feel and precision, it can be changed later since you seem to have a decent box to start with.

Ill second this. I would say it would be the smartest way to tackle such a quandry.

NOT A TA
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I used the Del-A-Lums with Hotchkis springs/bars in my second gen and am very happy with them. Be carefull how you aim the grease fittings so they're easy to get with a grease gun later on. Have yet to replace the orig box (low mileage) but will get a quicker ratio pretty soon. I vote Del-A-Lums now upgrade box later.

John

David Pozzi
08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Sounds like you have a good box, just get the Del-A-Lum bushings.
David