PDA

View Full Version : are all leaf springs created equal?

jonnyc
08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
i'm trying to decide if i want the hotchkis or global west leaf springs.or maybe have my stock multi leaf re-arched.
do the make different spring rates for leaf springs?or does the amount of leafs create the spring rate.if i use the same bushings an shocks in these,do you think i'll notice any ride or handling differance between these 3 options.

thanks for the help,Jon

Lowend
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
all leafs are certainly not created equal...
IMHO for an off the shelf spring the Global West spring are far superior to anything else being made right now. Much thicker gauge steel than anyone else and an extra leaf on the front side. The springs really resist wrap up and wheel hop

chicane67
08-03-2007, 05:49 PM
are all leaf springs created equal?

Not even in the least consideration. But out of the two you listed, the GW CAT5 springs are the better of the two... and by far.

Other than that... you'll need to step up to a spring shop building you want you need and you can actually get what you want while your at it.

jonnyc
08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
i wasn't really looking at the cat5 springs.i was looking more at their normal l-16 spring.

chicane67
08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I guess a better question to you would be... what exactly are you trying to accomplish ??

jonnyc
08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
this car will be 90%street driven,5% drag race,probably 3 track days a year at thunderhill,sears point.
so i guess i'm wanting a great ride quality with improved handling over a stock suspension.
my plans so far are hotchkis front springs and front/rear sway bars.afx spindles.del-a-lum bushing front/rear.
i was going to buy the hotckis leafs but the gw are a little cheaper.but if it wasn't that much of a differance i might just re-arch the stock multi-leafs.

Lowend
08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Is this a 1st gen?

jonnyc
08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Is this a 1st gen?

yes,1st gen

Lowend
08-05-2007, 06:17 AM
The GW L16 leafs are not as heavy as the L2's are. I really tend to point people towards the L2 in most cases.
Being that this is mainly a street car, and you are running a rear swaybar, I would be looking at the L2 with a rubber front eye bushing and a del-a-lum rear bushing.

jonnyc
08-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I would be looking at the L2 with a rubber front eye bushing and a del-a-lum rear bushing.

what is the advantage of using the rubber bushing up front?and are you talking about the stock style rubber or poly bushing?

Lowend
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
The rubber front eye bushing allows the spring to twist in it's mount, preventing suspension bind. The big advantage the CatV springs have is a spherical bearing in the front eye, which also allows for twist. The problem is that the Spherical bearing also tends to make noise and add some harshness in a street car.

A solid or poly bushing in the front spring eye WILL create suspension bind. If you are not running a rear sway bar this can be tuned around, but frankly I don't consider it a great way to setup a car.